The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Yay! So, here are my two Orps 🥰. They are 8 weeks old, and I am just so impatient to find out what they are! 😂 Thanks to anyone who would be willing to take a guess at their genders! 😉
0A554475-D4D9-49F5-8FF6-754D44A20E6F.jpeg
ECF00595-0E0F-4E99-8CD9-744EBEF3A631.jpeg
BE8FC4B9-A0E7-4485-9B30-59D4B18E1829.jpeg
D963830C-47DC-4B88-9EB2-CCA48D55D742.jpeg
DEFDE920-1763-4D11-804E-5491B871B2E1.jpeg

English Orpingtons can be notoriously difficult to sex at a young age. I can with a reasonable amount of certainty say that Chick #2 is a cockerel. I am pretty sure that Chick #1 is a pullet, but it's possible it's a slower developing cockerel. More pics in a few weeks would help solidify those guesses though.

English Orpingtons can be notoriously difficult to sex at a young age. I can with a reasonable amount of certainty say that Chick #2 is a cockerel. I am pretty sure that Chick #1 is a pullet, but it's possible it's a slower developing cockerel. More pics in a few weeks would help solidify those guesses though.
Thank you!!! I’m so impatient!! 😂

Yay! So, here are my two Orps 🥰. They are 8 weeks old, and I am just so impatient to find out what they are! 😂 Thanks to anyone who would be willing to take a guess at their genders! 😉View attachment 2498783View attachment 2498784View attachment 2498785View attachment 2498786View attachment 2498787
Very cute!

My guesses:
#1 Female
Girlish face
Smaller pale comb
No signs of pointy male saddle/hackle feathers
rounded body shape
more even feather color
can't see the legs, but the shanks are probably a bit thinner than the other's
NOTE: All chicks look female.... until they don't.

#2 Male
Comb is pale but slightly larger. He should get darker comb color soon to confirm.
Darker feather patch on wings (very common in males)
more upright body shape / posture
Thicker legs/bigger feet (maybe?) Sometimes mine look like they're on stilts (age 3-5months)
Personality - Males tend to be more outgoing, friendly, run up to greet you, curious, less skittish etc.

Very cute!

My guesses:
#1 Female
Girlish face
Smaller pale comb
No signs of pointy male saddle/hackle feathers
rounded body shape
more even feather color
can't see the legs, but the shanks are probably a bit thinner than the other's
NOTE: All chicks look female.... until they don't.

#2 Male
Comb is pale but slightly larger. He should get darker comb color soon to confirm.
Darker feather patch on wings (very common in males)
more upright body shape / posture
Thicker legs/bigger feet (maybe?) Sometimes mine look like they're on stilts (age 3-5months)
Personality - Males tend to be more outgoing, friendly, run up to greet you, curious, less skittish etc.
Thank you!! I will be looking out for some of those markers that you mentioned!

Are you thinking Chick 1 is splash and chick 2 is blue? Again... I’m new to the Orpington world!

Are you thinking Chick 1 is splash and chick 2 is blue? Again... I’m new to the Orpington world!
Chick 1 does look a lot like a splash = very light in color & I don't see the faint lacing around the feathers. Chick 2 has the darker feather edges typical of blue orps.

Blue orp pullet. You can see the how the edges have a thin lacing
IMG_6104 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom