The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

View attachment 2619446
View attachment 2619447
View attachment 2619448View attachment 2619449View attachment 2619450View attachment 2619451View attachment 2619452View attachment 2619453View attachment 2619454View attachment 2619455

He's pretty. I'd have a hard time telling him apart from a Black Silver-laced in that photo.

They are cute. This is a Blue Silver-laced pair? Or he's replacing Awesome?
Love the bantam BBS orps! I don't "need" to add more chickens, but those banty blue hens are stunning!

The pics I sent of the laced orps are actually @homeschoolin momma 's. They came from here and were hatched last year. I already had too many laced. She took them in. I thought they were black laced. As they got older, the black slowly turned blue.

So all of those pics are of bantams? Can you grow bantams
and standards together? Are there standards that look like those
birds, and where do you get them?
I found that IF the bantams and large fowl are hatched & raised together, it's not problem. Cookie was our only bantam for a few years. She weighed somewhere between 2-3 lbs. My regular English orp hens weigh 9.5-11 lbs (roosters are even more). I had to make sure that both sizes could reach feeders and water, but they always got along. The roosters knew she was not to be mated. Sometimes a young cockerel would have a go, but he quickly learned a lesson. She never had any biological chicks, but raised most of my flock ... and beyond.

Here's Cookie in front of 2 reg orps.
IMG_9193.JPG

Here's Cookie raising some large orp chicks. They quickly grew larger than her.
IMG_5642.jpg

It was always fun watching her raise baby turkeys. :lau
IMG_4788 (2).JPG

All of my birds are standards and I have more coming, so I probably should stay away from bantams. Where do you find standards that look like those blue bantams?
Where did you find Cookie, and did you have to introduce her to your standards?

Last edited:
My standard/large fowl orps are from imported English bloodlines. That could be what you're looking for. They have that very round, extra fluffy appearance. There are several people who breed & sell them. I really only sell locally. The American Orpingtons have a more streamlined appearance. Less butt fluff.

ex: This is my blue orp Jewel. She's over 10 lbs but a gentle giant. Like most of my flock, she was hatched and raised by a little bantam, so grew up around them.
blue orp.jpg

I got Cookie as a shipped egg from a breeder in NC, but she ended up having some predator issues and then decided to stop her business to spend more time with family. Cookie was hatched with large fowl and never realized she was different.

There are several breeders in my area within driving distance,
but they're all out of eggs. Hopefully, when I get my first incubator,
they'll have eggs and I can try my hand at hatching. Maybe I'll be
as lucky as you were and get a Cookie.

Back
Top Bottom