The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Jeremy - We spent a couple of hours outside with the chickens today and I took a lot of pictures, and most of those were of Nigel. I don't want to flood the thread with lots of pictures of the same chicken, so I will e-mail them to you either this evening or tomorrow if that is okay for you? I will also post some pictures here either later this evening or tomorrow.

Hagrid and Winston had another "to do" this afternoon and it took me knocking Hagrid away about 10 times before it took. YIKES !! But - he has not tried to dance around me anymore.

On an exciting note - Hagrid did "THE DEED" with one of The O's for the first time (that I have seen). I really looked at The O's combs today and they are quite red, so I'm hoping for eggs any day now. Bluebell has had red wattles and comb for a month now, and still no eggs from her. I sure hope they start laying in the next couple of weeks or so. Sirius hasn't shown much interest in any of the girls, but Nigel (who is the youngest of all my birds) has been doing the dance around any pullet/hen he can, and today he tried to mount Bluebonnet, but she was having none of it. He did get a mouthful of feathers, though !! I tried to take a picture of it...if I got it, I'll post it. He was standing there crowing after he did it with a mouth full of feathers !! He is a total goofball. He also tried to get one of The O's, but Hagrid put a stop to that immediately. Hopefully, these young pullets will start laying really soon.

I do have 7 eggs in the incubator out of Winston's pen and I have 4 more to add in tomorrow morning. I candled last 3 last night that are on day 10 or 11 (can't remember right now) and I saw no sign of fertility. I doubt I'll have anything fertile until I do some trimming, which I am not going to do until it warms up some. It's too cold for bare-butted chickens right now.

I'm not sure about the splash color, Jeremy. I've never seen anything about it that I can recall. Maybe somebody else will know. You make an interesting point...worth some investigation.

Quote:
lol.png
Was he any good?

I am planning on showing a few. I just hope there will be some more Orps there. Last year there were only about 5 Orps being shown. That is kind of pitiful. They need a bigger representation than that.

Quote:
English Buffs???

Where did you get them?

No they are just American, I saw this thread and wanted to share my excitement, SORRY. They came from a hatchery but they are VERY good hatchery birds.

Back
Top Bottom