The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

When we had Cochins, we plucked the vent feathers on the roo and just trimmed the hens and it improved fertility. Have fun giving booty trims today.
lol.png

Sandy - I'll post pictures if you will
gig.gif

Kandace - I hate to pluck, so I just trim both males and female. I've had really good fertility with this last year, so I'm hoping I get as good results this year.

I always trim the vents with scissors, if you pluck them the area around the vent can get sore and irratated which causes them to not want to breed. I normally have to trim the vents on our Wyandottes and Seb geese..I use to wait and see how fertility went in the breeding pen, as I have gotten older and wiser I just go on and trim them.

Jerry

Quote:
Hi Jerry - That is why I don't pluck - I don't want to cause discomfort anymore than necessary. I have read some discussion that the trimmed feathers poking the birds also makes them disinclined to breed, but I haven't seen that problem here at all. From experience with my flock, I don't wait to check fertility, I just go ahead and trim. I won't trim my birds in the winter months though, no frozen chicken bums here, so fertility has been dismal. I've been diligently putting the eggs in the bator "just in case," but only one has been fertile. I've been patiently waiting for the weather to warm up to trim so, today, let the "haircuts" commence. LOL.

I am pretty sure I mentioned how Doug says he does it. He plucks one feather out at a time till he has about a fist size area around the vent cleared out. I do not trim or pluck. But, I do not have profusely feathered Orps like you UK folks.

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I put three of Julie's kids eggs in the hatcher and all three hatched!!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
I am also pretty sure that all three are out of my more English hen too! What a great day!
yippiechickie.gif

Well everybody got "hair cuts" today and I got some pictures. Some of these are pre-hair cut. Hagrid, The O's and Bluebell were horrified beyond belief that their dignity was so violated. They sulked in the coop most of the day, so I did not get any pictures of them.

Here are some of Winston & Company, and Sirius, Nigel, Bluebonnet & Blueberry.

Petra

Petra02-26-2011.jpg

Jack (one of my doggies) in the dust bath

Heywhosthatinourdustbath02-26-2011.jpg

Minerva

Minerva02-26-2011.jpg

Minerva and Clementine (Clementine is on the ground)

ClementineMinervaMatilda02-26-2011.jpg

Minerva

Minerva02-26-11.jpg

Winston & his girls

Winstandhisgirls02-26-2011.jpg

Next batch coming up

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom