The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I have never given a shot to a bird before,... but Lord knows I have given many many shots to my animals over the yrs. FiFe did you get short needles with your syringes like what folks with diabetes use?? I think they would be the best. Back to the shots... push the needle through the rubber neck stopper and fill the syringe. Then remove the filled syringe with needle in upward position. Pull back on the plunger.. and tap the side of the syringe with your finger. You will see the air bubbles rise to the top... then slowly push the plunger back up into position. It won't hurt if you over fill the syringe and push out the extra along with the air bubbles before giving the shot.

I hope this helps you
smile.png

Its really not hard at all if your chicken is held and handled properly .most innoculations go subcutanous (just under skin ) makes a little bubble under skin like TB shot..once you have done it a couple times its old hat..they have a few vidieos on youtube showing innoculations of babys and one adult

I had PAGES of directions and I even retyped them ...condensed in LARGE print for ease of use. I really was prepared...just not really good in situations like that. I would do it if I thought they were in danger...but at this point by chicks are at almost 3 months (jerseys) and 4 months Orps from Renie. I would have had symptoms if any of the introduced hens were Marek carriers. I just learned a good lesson...will always hatch out my own chicks or get chicks already vaccinated. I live on a "seasonal" road with no neighbor closer than 1/2 mile so should be safe. It was good to read up on it however as I know you CAN get it from neighbors chickens if THEY have it ...through the air. I already talked to my closest neighbor (1/2 mile away) since she just got into chickens. She intends to hatch her own also.

Those older hens by the way...have been GREAT layers!! I get huge eggs and almost daily. They were almost a year old when I got them and I got them just for the summer and will give them away this fall and just keep my BBS English Orps and BBS Jersey giants. I just wanted some egg layers....my egg customers from church will be sad to see them go. I was upset about the scaly leg mites but treated them right away and that was taken care of. I still keep them in a separate run and coop from my other flocks. Renie...I did use the diabetic needles....they weren't big...just came off when I put the caps on them. I had them sitting in a ice bucket and everything. Just glad it all turned out ok as far as not having it in my acquired flock.

The American Orpington Poultry Fanciers will soon be announcing a very special award for British Type Orpingtons. Its value will be worth $100. We are not at liberty to state the specifics yet, but the award will go towards the best British type Orpington shown at Crossroads. It will be judged to the British Standard. So load up your British type Orpingtons and bring them all to Crossroads! We urge others to join with us in providing awards to both American and British type Orpingtons at this huge joint National poultry show in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Jim Hall, President
Jeff Thornton, Vice President
American Orpington Poultry Fanciers

Maybe y'all can help me wrap my head around this. I have 2 Lemon Cuckoo juvies which I believe to be a pair at this point. Both were hatched from Green Fire, who said they were from split to LC eggs. They have really light barring, which makes me to believe they have 1 copy of the LC gene since one with 2 copies has really pronounced barring.

Now, what would you think would result from this breeding? Would I get all double-copy LC's, a mixture of single and double copy, or Buffs, or... ?

Back
Top Bottom