The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Quote:
I have had some like this!! Talk about butt ugly!!
wink.png
You do know why they are like this right? It's this hot hot steamy weather where no one can keep cool without shedding clothes!!! lol

Quote:
By breeding the splits together I believe you would get a mix of pure Lemon Cuckoos and more splits. I don't think you would get just plain Buffs, because both birds have at least 1 copy of the Cuckoo gene, so it should be expressed.

Quote:
By breeding the splits together I believe you would get a mix of pure Lemon Cuckoos and more splits. I don't think you would get just plain Buffs, because both birds have at least 1 copy of the Cuckoo gene, so it should be expressed.

That was my thought, but I wanted to get another opinion. Thanks!

Here's what Green Fire said about them:

Here’s how the color genetics work for lemon cuckoo Orpingtons: When we think of “pure” lemon cuckoo Orpingtons we usually envision the bright yellow color and dramatic white barred feather pattern that is the signature of this variety. This color and pattern exists only in roosters that carry two barring genes. A “pure” lemon cuckoo hen carries only one barring gene and so the females appear to be a light buff color without obvious barring.

Roosters that carry only one barring gene are colored like the hens. They are a light buff color without the prominent white barring effect.

When you see pictures of lemon cuckoo Orpingtons you are almost always looking at roosters with two barring genes, for it is these birds that have the bright yellow feathers and classic cuckoo barring pattern.

Here is the recipe for creating “pure” lemon cuckoo roosters with the two barring genes.

Step 1: Hatch the eggs from this auction. Because these are “split” eggs, the males that hatch from the eggs in this auction will carry one lemon cuckoo barring gene, and all the females that hatch will also carry a single barring gene. Both sexes will appear to be a light buff color. Breed these males and females together.

Step 2: The chicks you produce from this mating should (over a large number of eggs) be about 25% “pure” lemon cuckoo roosters; 25% roosters with one barring gene (they will appear to be a light buff color); and 50% hens, all with the single barring gene.

Step 3: If you breed the “pure” lemon cuckoo roosters with any of the hens, 100% of the male chicks you produce will be “pure” (with two barring genes) lemon cuckoo roosters and the females will also carry the lemon cuckoo gene. You are now producing 100% “pure” lemon cuckoo Orpingtons.

So, how did I end up with 2 with the single barring gene already?​

Last edited:
Quote:
So, how did I end up with 2 with the single barring gene already?

The father of your birds was a double barred pure English Lemon Cuckoo rooster. He got him from Lynne Flourney (the original importer). That rooster was then bred to American buff orpington hens, creating 50% English single barred offspring.

But of course, the barring effect is quite variable, even amongst pure double barred males... some will exhibit very profound barring, while others will hardly display any.

I've got a flock of 16 wk old's... I really need to post pics of them. They're quite stunning in my opinion, although a couple of the roosters have less than ideal combs.

I will probably introduce some very nice American Buff orpington blood into my flock in a couple of generations, just to prevent genetic stagnation

Last edited:
Here's mine:

One of the roosters is just starting to fill out, but they're still quite young. It'll be a couple more months before the girls start to lay, I suspect.

As you can see, the girls exhibit some barring, but much less than the roosters.

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6485.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6475.jpg

megalomaniac, they are beautiful.
love.gif

Question though, why do the Lemon Cuckoo Orps not have that classic English type/shape that the other imports do? You know, like the basketball covered in feathers look?
tongue.png

Last edited:
I suspect these will continue to fill out nicely. The parents looked good. These are only 16 weeks old at this point. But most of the Lemon Cuckoos I've seen pics of in England (Priscilla Middleton) still aren't quite as full as some of the other English orps, probably due to the breed being so new.

Back
Top Bottom