The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I need to know how you guys do it.... I have 6 jubilee orp eggs, a dozen Breda fowl and 6 cream legbar eggs on my counter. I know the Breda are pure but they are too old to ship and a few are muddy because it was raining and they decided to lay outside. The jubilees and legbars were together and have only been separated almost 2 weeks. I have a full bator and already have 9 Breda doing awesome...so how come I am having a hard time washing these eggs for eating??? I think I am going to lose my mind when I finally get all the breeding pens separated...3 weeks separated should be good right? Those jubilee boys are very busy and I need to put saddles on the girls..

Hey Krista, I want to know how you do it... your sig line says mom to 7!!!
ep.gif
bow.gif
I have two and that's more than I can handle.
th.gif
tongue.png

See this is how you handle the egg thing: you pack them up and send them to me, that way you never have to worry about eating them!!
lau.gif

I need to know how you guys do it.... I have 6 jubilee orp eggs, a dozen Breda fowl and 6 cream legbar eggs on my counter. I know the Breda are pure but they are too old to ship and a few are muddy because it was raining and they decided to lay outside. The jubilees and legbars were together and have only been separated almost 2 weeks. I have a full bator and already have 9 Breda doing awesome...so how come I am having a hard time washing these eggs for eating??? I think I am going to lose my mind when I finally get all the breeding pens separated...3 weeks separated should be good right? Those jubilee boys are very busy and I need to put saddles on the girls..

Just a word of advice on the saddles, You might want to keep a close eye on your hens them boys can get pretty rough on them & cut them up bad & you will not even know it until you pick one of them up & look her over good, I know cause I lost one of my best hens like this, just a word of caution, get them saddles on them.
I would hate to see this happen to anyone else.

Just a word of advice on the saddles, You might want to keep a close eye on your hens them boys can get pretty rough on them & cut them up bad & you will not even know it until you pick one of them up & look her over good, I know cause I lost one of my best hens like this, just a word of caution, get them saddles on them.
I would hate to see this happen to anyone else.

thank you for the heads up. these orp boys are very vigorous and I almost lost my cream legbar pullet as they ripped her open. She is in the house healing and I hope she makes it. I didn't notice until I saw her seem uncomfortable when a legbar roo dismounted, but saw the orp boys on her all the time before they were separated and they are much bigger than the legbars. I had just had my surgery and had just separated them. I pulled her out and the hole was under her wing. Before this happens to my orp girls I am saddling them.

I need ideas for cages for all my "extra" roos. I need to keep these boys here but they are all fighting and overmating and I won't have enough pens for each to have their own. I need a humane way to keep these boys until I have more girls....ideas? I could give them each their own "cage" in one of my new coops but they won't get out except on rotation(my boys will let one out at a time for about an hour or more) but need to know what size cage I can get away with for each? Dh will be building custom cages so this is a workable thing...

my other idea for my roos is to have dh build me a long short coop. short roof long in length and not very deep, like a row of apartments.but this takes more ground space from my "free range" group of eating layers and not my preferred way. Some of these boys will only be here temporarily until I have some offspring from them. I have never confined any of my hens so this is new for me. We only have one resident bachelor but it is not by choice(hard to come by color and I haven't had hens for him until this year), and he has an A-frame coop to himself. I would love to do this for my other boys but the space and expense is too much.

so what do you all do with your extra roos?

I cant keep that many where I'm at so I don't have that problem, but some game fowl people use a tie cord, it has a little hitch that goes around there leg & atched to a cord that's staked to the ground so if you got a 6t cord hes got a 12ft sqr. space to his self & cant get to another rooster, it works good.

I cant keep that many where I'm at so I don't have that problem, but some game fowl people use a tie cord, it has a little hitch that goes around there leg & atched to a cord that's staked to the ground so if you got a 6t cord hes got a 12ft sqr. space to his self & cant get to another rooster, it works good.

we thought about that but my free range roo will go pick fights
hmm.png

For those of you with adult bantam choc orps, about how much do they weigh?
And how do you weigh them...
And how much do the LF choc orps weigh?
this is averages of course

Are there standards for the bantam choc orps someone can point me to

smile.png

My breeders are all under 5 lbs.

There aren't very many LF here. I don't think anyone is currenty selling imported LF chocolates. I know the other big cockerel I got last year is at my business partner's house making LF with her pure english lines. One is here making LF chocolate ameraucanas.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom