The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Bill, yup true Crele. It's going to depend on how my Partridge project goes though, I need to have that color establish before I start working on the Crele. I have one Patridge hen now that I plan to use to recreate more. If I can get that color solidified I will add the barring from Cuckoo Orps to create the Crele pattern.

My main focus is my BBS, it's fun to have a few other colors running around with the rest of the flock though.
smile.png

It took a few months to figure out where my Silver Duckwings were coming from. Then it all clicked. I had one Lemon Blue Ameraucana looking hen that came from my Buff/Black cock (BUSTOFF) and she was bred by my fence hoping Birchen Marans. In addition to Silver Crele Orps, I prolly can make a better go at making Silver Crele Marans. This Duckwing lays a very nice dark brown egg. Somewhere around 6 on the Marans scale of egg color. Right now I put some of her eggs, who are fertilized by my Cuckoo cockerels, in a week and eat the rest. I too am more wanting to solidify my standard color Orps before filling my bators up with project eggs. I am throwing in a few Cuckoo eggs too with these Duckwing eggs. So I am a snail crawling along with my projects till summer begins

Last edited:
Jean, I saw the lighter colors in the face on Jeremy's choc chick too in his pics
the bantam chocs I hatched are not crossed to the LF, just both bantam chocs and they were dark all over
is it something from the cross to LF that is giving them light faces at first? I know they will feather in as expected but just wondering why they look different at hatch

consider me an interested bystander :)

I have some pics to share of the LF chocolate orps. The first is day old (1 chocolate and 2 black splits). The second is 3 chocolates a couple weeks old, the third is the same chick as the first picture only at about 6 weeks. They are all English LF project. Just an example of how they change in just a few weeks. (the last pic is a pair of chocolates - same cockerel)

If I am not mistaken the amount of white/cream a chick has on it when born has to do with melanizer in that particular bird?? Black bantam orps are born the same way, some are mostly solid black, others with tons of white around the head. Being that chocolates did ultimately come from the blacks I would assume it would be the same for them as well, some more solid that others.
smile.png

here are my english blue orpingtons. any thought on sex? they are about 3wks old i think. would these be considered black or blue?

goliath

EBO #2

EBO #3

All Three together. Notice how much bigger Goliath is than the other two. Thats where he/she got its name. I think he is a roo just because how prominant his comb is already and how large his is. They are from the same hatching.

seeing these photos makes me feel like i have all females. mine are 6.5 weeks old and none of them have a comb that big yet.
here is what mine looked like at 3 weeks old. Edited: looking bad at the date, this photo is of them at 2.5 weeks old. (if that makes a big difference)

Last edited:
9 week olds. Blue girl in front , black boy in backl They are laying down

100_9594.jpg
100_9595.jpg

Here they are standing.
These are very wide birds

Back
Top Bottom