The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!!

Trying not to get in a panic here ... I was supposed to pick up my ducks today but haven't heard from the seller since Saturday. I left two messages and then stopped calling because I don't want to be some crazy stalker.

The ad is still up on Craig's list so I don't think she's sold them all. She had a lot of different breeds of ducks to sell and did promise to hold the 4 Khakis for me. I offered to pay her right away with Paypal and she said no need, she would prefer I bring cash. I offered to drive down that night but it would have been 7pm or later when I arrived and she said not to worry, the ducks weren't going anywhere and she would prefer Tuesday around 5:30 so I agreed ...

... but she hasn't given me her address yet and no responses to my two calls.

.............................really trying to just wait patiently assuming she will contact me when she can and hopefully I will still be picking up my ducks tonight (or another night if something has come up to make this night no longer possible). I'll be sad if she sold them to someone else after telling me she would hold them for me.

I bought them a kiddie pool yesterday, a watering thingie and food thingie, organic layer feed and bedding. I cleaned out the old chicken coop and found pails for nesting (even though I think the stress of moving to a new home will halt any egg production for a while). Now I'm sitting here fretting like a hen on eggs LOL! I want to go pick up MY ducks ........... wahhahhh. *cries big alligator tears*

Please send some good vibes my way.

ETA: I was worrying for nothing. She just called (she had been texting my work phone not realizing I wasn't getting any of those messages because that phone has to stay at work). I pick them up at 2 today .. eeeeeeeeeeeee .. picks to follow.

Last edited:
Trying not to get in a panic here ... I was supposed to pick up my ducks today but haven't heard from the seller since Saturday.  I left two messages and then stopped calling because I don't want to be some crazy stalker.

The ad is still up on Craig's list so I don't think she's sold them all.  She had a lot of different breeds of ducks to sell and did promise to hold the 4 Khakis for me.  I offered to pay her right away with Paypal and she said no need, she would prefer I bring cash.  I offered to drive down that night but it would have been 7pm or later when I arrived and she said not to worry, the ducks weren't going anywhere and she would prefer Tuesday around 5:30 so I agreed ...

... but she hasn't given me her address yet and no responses to my two calls. 

.............................really trying to just wait patiently assuming she will contact me when she can and hopefully I will still be picking up my ducks tonight (or another night if something has come up to make this night no longer possible).  I'll be sad if she sold them to someone else after telling me she would hold them for me.

I bought them a kiddie pool yesterday, a watering thingie and food thingie, organic layer feed and bedding.  I cleaned out the old chicken coop and found pails for nesting (even though I think the stress of moving to a new home will halt any egg production for a while).  Now I'm sitting here fretting like a hen on eggs LOL!  I want to go pick up MY ducks ........... wahhahhh. *cries big alligator tears*

Please send some good vibes my way. 

ETA:  I was worrying for nothing.  She just called (she had been texting my work phone not realizing I wasn't getting any of those messages because that phone has to stay at work).  I pick them up at 2 today .. eeeeeeeeeeeee .. picks to follow.

Yay!!! I'm waiting for photos!!!

Quote:
I'm so happy to have them home. Her place was a case of good intentions gone bad. She's a self described animal shelter and the conditions were not what I would want for my own animals. The poor ducks and chickens were in a pen (large enough) but slap dash wiring, falling down dirty shelters, pools with an inch of black water, so many trees overhead they never see sunshine and piles of eggs laying everywhere in the mud. I can't imagine being a poor duck or chicken having to lay eggs in the mud. The conditions were just ... sad.

The *kids* are so dirty and feel thin. I was raised on a farm and our ducks were never dirty or thin so that made me sad too. One of the girls is bald on the back of her head, obviously the boys like her best and there were too many boys in the pen.

The lady kept trying to give me one of the black males or the mix breed males with green heads because she didn't know one of the Khakis was a drake. When I tried to explain she disagreed because he didn't have a green head or his feathers weren't a different enough colour for her to see a difference and she just kept calling them "the brown hens". We had the three ducks caught and she kept trying to catch any of the other males so I finally just said, "Can I have that last brown hen?", and left it at that. She was disappointed I didn't want a drake and meanwhile I'm holding the one she just caught .. *sighs*

My girl friend helped me unload them and we just lifted their wire transport kennel up to the small coop door and they ran straight into nice, clean shavings. I have peeked in on them a few times but I'm trying to just let them rest after that stressful day. Last time I just listened at the door and there were happy mutterings and water snorkling going on. I'm sure they found the food because the bowl is already quite a bit lower compared to when I put it in. Due to lack of space I just put a small, metal dog bowl in for now. It's a small coop but they'll be roomy enough. At least it's clean, bright and warm/dry and they will get to roam in green grass and garden after they've settled in.

Welcome home Marvin, Wanda, Gladys and Katherine. (Named after Marvin Gaye and the Marvelettes, you can tell I like older music.)

Katherine is the smallest (front of picture), Gladys has the blonde eye shadow (looking at the camera and most likely pooping in the water) and Wanda is at the back. Marvin does a very nice, protective quacking when I go in but he seems very gentle so far. His feathers are quite raggedy and I'm hoping with better living conditions that they will all fill out and feel better soon.

Their coop looks pretty bare but I'm trying to give them enough space since they will be locked in for a bit. So I haven't put any bucket nests down yet or much of anything besides bedding, food and water. I sprinkled a thick layer of DE (managed to get a fair bit on the walls in the process, LOL) before I put down their bedding. I'm not sure if they have any lice because of the previous conditions.

Could they have internal parasites? Should I treat them with anything?

Last edited:
Question - Could they have internal parasites? Should I treat them with anything?

I would take fecal samples to the vet and have them tested for parasites. If they have something, you'll know what they have and can treat accordingly.

Did you ever figure out the ducks from the drakes?

Runt for sure is a duck. The other three sound like drakes but they're still in their baby feathers, so they look alike (except for Runt) and don't have a curl yet. One (Ducky) has a similar colored bill to Runt, but sounds and looks like the other two, so Ducky's really the only one I can't tell for sure. Or I could be completely backwards! I don't know LOL

Here is one of the drakes. The other one looks just like this one.

Here is Ducky (background) with one of the drakes (his bill has a little bit of mud on it, silly bird).

Ducky and either Littlefoot or Petrie (still working on which one is which...bad mom I am xD)

I'm hoping and still hopeful that Ducky is female and I have two drakes and two ducks, or else I'm gonna have to rehome someone, and likely Runt if Ducky ends up actually being a drake.

Back
Top Bottom