The kids and birds did great at the County Fair!!

4HMomma

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Nebraska
The girls had a very good fair this year. We got 3rd in Horse showmanship, purple and blue in bucket calf project, and have many items going to state fair. BUT the poultry was the highlight. This is our 3rd year in poultry. The first year we had no clue what we were doing, showmanship or bird-wise. The second year my second oldest won the showmanship trophy, but our birds were still just hatchery stock and got reds most of the time. This year, my oldest daughter got the showmanship trophy, her blue cochin pullet got reserve grand for all around bird. My other daughter got purple in showmanship, but didn't place, but her 2 birds, one a jap bantam hen and one a rc rhode island red hen one their classes and went on to the all around contest. My oldest also brought a rc rhode island red cockeral who was still very young (still had most of his pin feathers), he got a purple and the judge can't wait until next year to see him, and her trio of bantam white plymouth rocks got purples too. Here are some pics of the chicken show and the girls. The littlest one showing is a clover kid and doesn't get judged, she gets a participation ribbon, but she sure had fun!

Ok, I can't seem to get the pics to post, but here is a public fb link.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2117552750681.2116940.1601619277&l=ad54f38cae&type=1

Great pictures, happy kids and animals, perfect together. I love seeing kids raised with farm animals, I think there is no better way to raise happy well adjusted kids (this from someone with no kids, so take it for what its worth).

How exciting! I wish they had 4-H for us old timers!
old.gif

I wouldn't raise the girls any other way. They had a blast. When I spoke with my mom after fair I said, "I think I'd like to be a kid again so I can do 4h again"

Back
Top Bottom