The Kitchen Table - come sit with us! new request added to post 1!

Maybe one of these days I will try creating a FB page.
How is Maple? Tell her I still think of her often, and Deb too, and Buffy.
And Laree and others will come to mind.
I do have a bad case of CRS, runs in my family.

Little by little I am figuring out the new BYC, and it is getting easier. The first few times, I was so lost, and I get annoyed easily with slow connection.

I think my sister's street isn't too far from the trestle, maybe a couple miles or so?

Last edited:
I was going to type I do not know how to edit posts, but I just found it!
The little pencil on the left bottom corner!

eta: and I just edited this post, hooray!!

Last edited:
Maybe one of these days I will try creating a FB page.
How is Maple? Tell her I still think of her often, and Deb too, and Buffy.
And Laree and others will come to mind.
I do have a bad case of CRS, runs in my family.

CRS happens after 45. Most of us have it. Laree is there, we have a private group of the office work thread folks. Make a page!!!

Hi all - hope you had a great weekend! I did! We went down to Redding, CA to visit some close friends and had a good time.

How many eggs in the fridge? At least 5 doz and maybe 7. The large are easy to sell. The mediums we sell in an 18 count container and we eat the small. Consequently, we have small and medium in the fridge and one carton of jumbo.

Hi,

I am new here. I live in Martinez, CA and have a lovely organic permaculture garden. I have been researching backyard chickens. We had a pet chicken when I was a kid, and she laid cute little green/blue eggs, but one day she "disappeared" while we kids were at school because my Mom was tired of the chicken smell. So sad!

Anyway, my husband isn't too hot on the idea of chickens since we had pet house rabbits for years when our kids were growing up. Our "kids" are now 30 years old and 28 years old and out on their own, and my husband doesn't want to go back to hauling hay on weekends. So I am a bit stalled on the "investigating stage" for my backyard chicken idea.

A friend of mine in Marin (San Anselmo) is in the process of building a chicken coop, so my husband wants to see how her efforts go before even seriously considering the idea. Also, we have a small terrier mix dog that always hunts the rats that inevitably are lured in when our garden's tomato "forest" every summer, so my husband is concerned that our dog will go for chickens too.

Speaking of my garden, I have a real surplus of homegrown organic strawberries and garden peas....and lots of other veggies. So, if anyone here lives in Martinez, CA and wants to trade one dozen eggs a month for a box of organic homegrown veggies/fruit..please contact me! Also, I raise red wiggler worms in a wormbin, so I could trade red wiggler worms and/or black soldier fly larvae to feed your chickens in trade for fresh eggs. A barter situation might be the easiest solution to my quest for eggs and the one to cause the least marital discord! ;-)

Thank you!

WOW!! I can't believe this thread is still here. I thought it would have gotten tossed in the recycle bin by now.

So,
woot.gif
and
frow.gif

Cool! Is anybody still out there? My life has been busy in ways I never thought would happen. In the last year, I barely changed my chicken count. I lost one, my favorite Barnevelder, gained one when one of my broodies just had to be a mommy, so got a cockerel that I need to rehome. My middle son got married, so I gained a daughter. Then, my sister had brain surgery. It went well, but it took a lot of energy from the family. Then, I applied to grad school. That's still an ongoing process.

So, I guess the next question has to be:
Note #41 - "What life-changing events have happened to you in the last year?"

~Steffanie (Orp)

edited to say: It looks like I can't edit the first post in this thread anymore. So, I can't update the first post with the newest questions and their location in the thread. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Hi Stephanie!

My grandchildren are growing up so fast! One will be in 3rd grade in the fall and another ready to start PK.
I am off work for a month, then I'll work a summer position for a month, then school starts up again.
I have less chickens now. A few of them got so old, they were 12 years and I no longer have them.
Just got back from a nice visit with one of my sisters, and my two other sisters went to her house also. I took my son and his wife and their two kids, my sister's son and one of his daughters came out from OK, so it was a nice family get together!
I still have my pony, he has shed all his winter coat now, maybe I will ride a bit before I start back to work.
All is well, sure is good to hear from you!

Boo

Hi Boooooooo,
lol.png

I don't get notices from BYC anymore. I don't understand it. I didn't know you had posted.

I also have a serious case of CRS. I didn't remember much of what we talked about last year. Sheesh! I'd better figure out how to remember things, because grad school is gonna whup my behind!!

Family gatherings are always nice, but seem even more so as the years go by. You are lucky to have your family nearby. I'm near my dad, but everyone else is pretty spread out. When grandbabies arrive, I'm sure I'll find a way to visit, though.

I'm glad you still have your pony. I've thought about you whenever I consider moving to a place that would allow me some sort of 4-hooved critters. Sometimes I want a mule, but then I think of you and your pony, and think that is a better idea. Mostly, it's a pipe dream. Or, a retirement dream. And that is not happening anytime soon.

The age of your oldest chickens amazes me. I can't seem to keep mine away from the raccoons for more than 4 years. Or, they get oviduct issues, and that's the end of the story.

Is John (Noncentzer) still wandering around BYC? He used to be a regular here. Hope all is well with him.

I'm currently freezing a bunch of eggs. Have you ever tried this? I decided to see if it would work since I had a ridiculous amount of eggs, and predict that the chooks will molt in about a month and a half. Then, I will be eggless. If the freezing works, I can still bake and have scrambled eggs. I hope it works.
fl.gif

It was great to hear from you! We should plan to go to the SC County Fair again this year. (Ever hear from Hugh?)

Back
Top Bottom