1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Legbar Thread!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jeremy, Mar 2, 2011.

1. ferrperr

ferrperr Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    Yes the one on the right is a hen.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens

ferrperr--

nice pictures. Thanks. I think the one with the black background is especially striking. What pretty chicks.

3. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    Is it just me, or does that a pullet have the silver gene?

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. anniesmom

anniesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Is that bad? Here is another picture of her. I took them yesterday. She has a heck of a hairdo, too! The cockerel with the really curved comb is also light colored compared to the other boys.

[​IMG]

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hmmm she does look to be silver? Maybe it is just your camera. It certainly is not a bad thing. There are 3 recognized colors of legbars Cream, Silver and Gold.

6. anniesmom

Don't think it's the camera. Here is another picture from yesterday of two other pullets plus the light colored cockerel.

[​IMG]

7. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Hmmm... Do you have a picture of the silver looking pullet standing next to one of the darker pullets? I think to get the silver legbars both parents have to be silver. I don't think it is like the rec whites where only one of the parents have to carry the gene.
    I may be wrong though. This sounds like a problem for GaryDean. He is really good with the genetics

8. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    When I received my original trio from Greenfire in October I got one pullet who had coloring similar to the male. Her feathers were frayed and broken and she was a raggedy, color mess. I paid $700 for the trio and I asked for a replacement. I returned her at my own expense for another pullet.

She on the front left in this pictures. These pictures were taken the day they arrived.The picture of that other girl reminded me of her color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. GaryDean26

GaryDean26 Chicken Czar Premium Member

Dec 22, 2011
    McAlester, OK
    My Coop
    The first legbars developed were the Silver and Gold Legbars. You can get both silver and gold from the Barred Rock x Leghorn since the Leghorns have the gold color and the Barred Rocks have the silver color. The cream legbars were "sports" from the gold legbars that had an additional color modifier that dilutes the gold color to make it cream. The gold color pops out quite a bit in the cream legbar lines but this is the first photo I have seen of the silver color popping out.

The standard for the Silver & Gold Legbars are white eggs and non-crested, so this is not a Silver Legbar but rather another non-standard color Crested Legbar- similar to the recessive white Legbars.

Thanks for posting these photos. It is great to see all the diversity that is coming out of these lines.

I am not sure if both of the parent have to be silver for this to pop out. Silver is S/S (dominant?) and gold is s+/s+ (recessive?), but I haven't really paid attention to the silver gene up to this point.

10. anniesmom

Thank you GaryDean for the info.

Yes, I do have a picture of her beside a darker pullet. I know it's her because of the little green band on her leg. The feathers on their necks are definitely different. I sure hope she doesn't lay white eggs!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by