The Legbar Thread!

I am sorry about your girl madamwlf. Symptomatically it sure sounds like Mareks. Are the birds in the adjacent pens adults? Maybe they have had prior exposure and developed immunity. Young birds are more susceptible. I hope you get an answer.

All of the birds in with the legbars are the same age as the legbars. I have silkies that are 3 months old next to them. The other pens are adults. None of the other legbars should signs of Mareks during the Necropsy.

Just some Legbar pictures. This is my juvenile, the only non-crested girl I have. She hatched from an egg I bought on eBay.

This is one of my older pullets.

This is my little girl who hatched on Easter. She is now brooding two chicks that are that are three weeks younger than she is! I have posted pictures of her before but this is a new pic from three days ago.

Just some Legbar pictures. This is my juvenile, the only non-crested girl I have. She hatched from an egg I bought on eBay.

This is one of my older pullets.

This is my little girl who hatched on Easter. She is now brooding two chicks that are that are three weeks younger than she is! I have posted pictures of her before but this is a new pic from three days ago.

that "momma" is the cutest thing
love.gif

So Sorry Madamwlf for your problems with your girls. I hope you can get to the bottom of this asap! It must be awful.

Anniesmom and klf, your pictures are priceless!

Carol

And really, it's only the Legbars. I have several pens close to each other and only the legbars are having issues.

If you are open to alternative treatments I would give them some Krill Oil asap. Krill Oil has Astaxanthin in it which is a very powerful Antioxidant. It is known to reduce inflammation, increase muscle strength, boost immune system, fight infection etc. There have been a few studies done showing benefits to chickens fed Astaxanthin- including higher resistance to Salmonella and lower gram positive bacteria. (You can Google these studies)

I have used it a few times in the past and it has worked wonders for me. Last year I had a pullet who was showing leg weakness- not lame but weak. No signs of respiratory or paralysis- just weak and unmotivated. Gave her a few doses of Krill Oil and she was running around happy as can be the next day. I have also used it for sour crop with excellent success. It comes in capsule form- I just cut the tip open and suck it out with a syringe. Gently syringe it into the birds beak. You can also put it on bread or scrambled eggs if they are eating well.

Hope she feels better soon.

Trish

Back
Top Bottom