The Legbar Thread!

That sounds like an awesome project for the kids!!!
So often the chicks hatched in schools are unwanted.
No, I did not ask to swap the chick. I did point them to this thread to learn more. The project was for grades K-8, complete with building a coop and run. I think it will be a good learning opportunity for the kids. That being said, I am going to hatch some eggs and try for my own whites now that I know!
big_smile.png

I donated cream Legbar and Isbar eggs to a local elementary and they hatched last week. The first one out of a blue egg was a solid yellow chick! They immediately emailed me thinking there had been a mix-up.
gig.gif

I have been hoping to hatch one myself and then the first graders beat me to it. I guess one of mine carries the gene too.

Aw, bummer that you don't get to take it home.

So, would you all guess this chick is male or female?

I donated cream Legbar and Isbar eggs to a local elementary and they hatched last week. The first one out of a blue egg was a solid yellow chick! They immediately emailed me thinking there had been a mix-up.
gig.gif

I have been hoping to hatch one myself and then the first graders beat me to it. I guess one of mine carries the gene too.
Well, Mary, I have been debating about hatching some more legbars... now I am thinking I may have to make that trek up to Auburn in hopes of getting a white or a carrier from you! I have 4 pullets, 2 cockerels (but one with a crooked tail) at 11 weeks old, and I have 5 females and 6 males at 3 weeks old. I guess there is a chance that some of those will hatch out whites but I haven't heard any of the folks I purchased from mention anything about whites. We will see... BTW, saw some of your icelandics when I was picking up some eggs a week or two ago. beautiful birds!! if my wife hadn't threatened if i purchased another breed to raise, I would have to include some of those... hmmm, i still may sneak them in and call them "swedish flower hens" she wouldn't notice the difference. hmmm.
wink.png

Here is a picture of Arnold. He is my big bad boss mini roo. He was getting very worried as I was picking up his clutch mates and he kept coming over to save them. So I caught him and got him to pose for a picture. He has a huge comb and has been crowing for a few weeks.

He has matured way before any of the other cream legbars from the same batch. He has so much character! We think one of the other cockerels will be a better type for breeding to the pullets. Arnold may end up staying with the layer flock.

gig.gif

WOW- That is awesome! If your original birds also carry the recessive white than it must be some what common in that first imported group to carry it.
Congrats!
woot.gif
Can't wait to see more of them out there! They really are beautiful
love.gif

Has anyone contacted Greenfire Farms to update them? Do they know yet it is recessive white and their original line carries it?

Trish

Here is a picture of Arnold. He is my big bad boss mini roo. He was getting very worried as I was picking up his clutch mates and he kept coming over to save them. So I caught him and got him to pose for a picture. He has a huge comb and has been crowing for a few weeks.

He has matured way before any of the other cream legbars from the same batch. He has so much character! We think one of the other cockerels will be a better type for breeding to the pullets. Arnold may end up staying with the layer flock.
love.gif
He is cute- and WOW on that comb
lol.png
LOVE it!

Anyone know what I can try treating my Hen with. I have no clue what's wrong with her and am willing to give anything a shot. I'm giving her Corid right now just in case. I'll be separating her tonight and can stop at TSC to get what I need. Any suggestions help.

Anyone know what I can try treating my Hen with. I have no clue what's wrong with her and am willing to give anything a shot. I'm giving her Corid right now just in case. I'll be separating her tonight and can stop at TSC to get what I need. Any suggestions help.

What are all the symptoms? Is it just trouble walking- like weakness? Or is it a leg issue?

Back
Top Bottom