The Legbar Thread!

I met Sue, the owner of the the www.blue-eggs.co.uk, through the Marans Club USA yahoo group back in January. She has been one of my biggest supporters as I started with Cream Legbars. Later Krys109uk said that he directs everyone that asks him for information on cream legbars to her site because her birds are the closest to the breeding flock of the person he got his Cream Legbars from and to what he was breeding his Cream Legbars to.

Regards,

GaryDean26

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I found the part about crest color in the standard interesting. It says cream or grey, a little chestnut is okay. Mine have very dark, almost black crests so I'm very happy that that is not how they are supposed to look as I would love to breed for a lighter color. The dark crest just doesn't look right.

Another one of my hens has started laying! A week and a half after the first.

I've got a pic I will post when I've got time. It's of two eggs laid by the same hen one day apart. The first egg was green, the second blue. Any ideas? I thought all the eggs by one hen would be roughly the same shade of the same color.

I get a Medium sky-blue egg, A8, from one hen and an Extra Large green egg from another, C15.

The 2nd hen's eggs started to rival my Marans Hens in egg size after about a week of laying.
smile.png

So far my legbar pullets have all been producing about the same color from day to day, but the color of an egg can definitely vary from a single hen. I have seen huge variations from a single hen in some of my brown egg laying breeds.

Last edited:
lau.gif

I can't begin to tell you how many WCB polish I have that look like that. Someone has snatched them all bald, and they ALWAYS look like Friar Tuck with pinfeathers. I don't think I've ever actually seen them with a crest. I'm holding out for someday on the next generation!

On the other hand, I have bantam SL polish, their crests are perfect!

Deb

I was able to move my legbars into their new coop. They first hid under the coop and then ventured into the run. I put them in the coop for the night and they wouldn't come out today. They'll get the hang of it soon.

I know the color portrayed will depend on your monitor, but the egg on the left is a green Cream Legbar egg, and the one on the right is a blue cream legbar egg. Both were laid by the same hen, less then 24 hours apart. (The other two are from another breed).

Back
Top Bottom