The Legbar Thread!

Took the plunge too...you only live once!

plus doesn't compare to the $1200 the DH spent on a rim for his Harley a few years back, right?
So excited also!
big_smile.png
Gonna be a fun fall I hope
And I'm sooo glad you took the plunge!
big_smile.png

I bought a cream legbar pullet from blackbirds yesterday!
wee.gif

I know the color portrayed will depend on your monitor, but the egg on the left is a green Cream Legbar egg, and the one on the right is a blue cream legbar egg. Both were laid by the same hen, less then 24 hours apart. (The other two are from another breed).

Hi Ladyfaden,

wow---- anything that you can think of that may have caused it? A change in feed? A different snack? Vitamins in the water. The color difference is very clear on my screen. How interesting as things unfold. This is one of those facinating facets about this breed. Both the green and the blue have a nice saturation. Thanks for posting.

Just bought a cream legbar cockeral (about 8 weeks old). Hope to get one or two pullets. In the meantime, he has 3 easter eggers to play with. i live in Maine so worry a little about the sraight comb getting frosted, Has anyone in a cold climate had a Cream Legbar cock through a winter?

If I can get a reliable setter, might try with hatching eggs this fall. Are the roosters fairly gentle with this breed?

Just bought a cream legbar cockeral (about 8 weeks old). Hope to get one or two pullets. In the meantime, he has 3 easter eggers to play with. i live in Maine so worry a little about the sraight comb getting frosted, Has anyone in a cold climate had a Cream Legbar cock through a winter?

If I can get a reliable setter, might try with hatching eggs this fall. Are the roosters fairly gentle with this breed?
post #1326 this is a photo of my roosters's comb this past winter. The Legbar comb is huge, bigger than the Marans and was not able to recover as well as theirs did. He lost all his points while the Marans healed up perfectly. My coop is not insulated or heated so that might be an issue - so I might try a heat lamp next winter or put a timer in to keep the lights on longer - but not sure I like giving the girls a break, but I won't be insulating it or the coop I build this year. The vaseline did not work.
I'm not sure if they are gentler but they are not a heavy breed and I guess it depends on how many hens you have for them, still need to get some chicken saddles...do they even work?

holyhart 'Twas really nice to meet you. Let me know how she turns out and when she starts laying.

I've no idea. There was nothing different that I can remember. The egg she laid before the green one, was blue. I'm very interested to see what color the next one is!
My Gold Legbar hen has been laying off-white eggs lately, but laid a nice cream color egg four days ago (a lot more brown color than the off-white eggs). My wife said that the hen was on the box for a long time the day the cream egg was laid and that the hen really labored to get the egg out. So...my explanation is that the longer the egg is in the oviduct of the hen the more brown pigment that is coated on the egg.

Since the brown pigment is what turns a blue egg green, it is likely that it took longer for your Cream Legbar pullet to pass the egg through the oviduct the day you got the green egg than the days you get the bluer eggs.

Last edited:
Ugh, I have a Legbar hen trying to go broody on me.
I learned a good way to break broody hens when mine went broody. IT worked really well! Put her on a wire cage for 3 days were some wind can get up under the cage or put a fan on her in the cage. The wind makes the hens hormones change for some reason. Don't ask me why but it worked for me.

Hope this helps

My Gold Legbar hen has been laying off-white eggs lately, but laid a nice cream color egg four days ago (a lot more brown color than the off-white eggs). My wife said that the hen was on the box for a long time the day the cream egg was laid and that the hen really labored to get the egg out. So...my explanation is that the longer the egg is in the oviduct of the hen the more brown pigment that is coated on the egg.

Since the brown pigment is what turns a blue egg green, it is likely that it took longer for your Cream Legbar pullet to pass the egg through the oviduct the day you got the green egg than the days you get the bluer eggs.

That is totally logical. Thank you VERY much. That's got to be what is happening.
My guys are only 15 weeks. I have a while to wait yet.

My rooster is not as bad as other roosters I have had but I still don't turn my back on him. I think it mostly depends on the breed but since they have leghorn blood that makes them a little bit flighty. I have no idea about the frost bitten comb though because I live in South Ga.

Back
Top Bottom