The Legbar Thread!

I have a strange legbar chick that is bugging me! I have my original pair in their own pen so I know what eggs are hers. She has been with the same rooster since I got them last year and has never been able to come in contact with another rooster. We just hatched a couple dozen legbar chicks total, and out of her eggs there is a mystery chick. It is black with a white spot on the head, then the back has 2 white stripes like, and in the center it is blue-ish white. What the heck could cause this? I have hatched out the dark males before but they still show brown. I will try to post a pic soon.
a melanized dark male? spontaneus mutation

Here are the chicks from the pair. All from Ingrid and Frederick. I dont have any current pics of them but I've posted pics of them before

I wasn't aware of the Cream Legbar Disappearing except the GOLDis rare as SILVER is extinct in UK but will look into that
In Australia, someone named Nick has recreated the Silver Legbar. Seeing his birds (post starts in 2008--) made me think that a lot of UK 'cream legbars' were actually crested Silver Legbars.

http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?t=7967614

one may have to click on the img type to see the pictures in this post---maybe due to age? At anyrate -- at some point Australia did not allow the importation of poultry...I think subsequent to these postings, Australia now allows importing poultry.

So - I think there is a formula for recreating Gold Legbars, and a formula - for creating Silver Legbars -- the unknown component is exactly WHAT the Chilean hen was -- it supplied Crest, Blue eggs and Cream color (colour). Who was that highly influential bird??

So great that you may be able to contact the 'recreator' of the breed... Who knows -- maybe he will pass along a copy of the Punnett notes to you -- and you could pass the copy along to the rest of the world. Good luck with it. :O)

check the following dark male,

while not as dark as yours, I dought yours is based on a different e allele other than e+
If you took away the red on the head and replaced it with solid black, that is what mine looks like somewhat. Oh, and the center of the back is more white than black as well.
This is why I dislike my phone, my last post only showed your one post and not this one. Luckily I have decent internet at home, lol

one thing I was looking into was the confusion with the Chilean bird

The Spanish conquistadors DESCRIBED the birds as Chilean crested Blue egg laying birds (no breed name was specified) and they where imported to the uk

after wards they where DESCRIBED as Cream Araucanas

now the Keyword in all of this is DESCRIBED

weather they where Araucanas or not is something that is not clear

what I am thinking is they where seen for the first time and described and then imported and then named Araucanas as they are descended from the Chilean Arauca Indians

I will try find where I read this info

Back
Top Bottom