The Legbar Thread!

Quote:
Hi Garydean and Nicalandia. Could you both elaborate on the leghorn infusion in the making of the Cream Legbar? I was under the impression that the Leghorn used in the Legbar was a Brown Leghorn --this was referenced in the cream genetic resource you had provided (http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/48/327.pdf) and I had thought in all of the other readings I had gotten to thus far they had referenced Brown Legbars.

Could you all provided links for the White Leghorn infusion to increase the productivity since I would really like to read that part of the history as there is an obvious hole in my knowledge that I need to correct?

Hi Garydean and Nicalandia. Could you both elaborate on the leghorn infusion in the making of the Cream Legbar? I was under the impression that the Leghorn used in the Legbar was a Brown Leghorn --this was referenced in the cream genetic resource you had provided (http://www.ias.ac.in/jarch/jgenet/48/327.pdf) and I had thought in all of the other readings I had gotten to thus far they had referenced Brown Legbars.

Could you all provided links for the White Leghorn infusion to increase the productivity since I would really like to read that part of the history as there is an obvious hole in my knowledge that I need to correct?

Quote:

the "native" blue egg layer of south america are actually more realted to the blue egg laying stock on the Rapanui(AKA Easter island) these birds were imported directly from the pacific by the polynesian people

for a country that's had the legbar only a max of 3 years you seem to think you know more than the experts where im getting my information from that have kept and bred them for many many years

Quote: It would be outstanding if you would post links to the sources. I love to read information and learn. I would love to access the same information you have read from the experts you referenced. Unfortunately you have not provided many links just quotes!

I am a relative newcomer to Cream Legbars and am still on the left side of the learning curve. I will say that some of the folks you talking about implying they are too new to know what is going on with Cream Legbars, are very well read and have done a tremendous amount of research with the breed. I would caution you to perhaps not make an assumption about folk's experience levels with this breed, chickens or genetics. In my case you of course may assume away
wink.png

It would be outstanding if you would post links to the sources. I love to read information and learn. I would love to access the same information you have read from the experts you referenced. Unfortunately you have not provided many links just quotes!

I am a relative newcomer to Cream Legbars and am still on the left side of the learning curve. I will say that some of the folks you talking about implying they are too new to know what is going on with Cream Legbars, are very well read and have done a tremendous amount of research with the breed. I would caution you to perhaps not make an assumption about folk's experience levels with this breed, chickens or genetics. In my case you of course may assume away
wink.png

I will dig out the links although some is spoken words

for example I just got off the phone to Emily De Gray about half hour ago

Lovely Lady and due to bad back she got rid of her Legbars Last year

but has pointed me to people with her stock and I will be getting some birds form them

one thing she did say was breeding out the gold or the darker barring will never happen

you need to start again with better stock weather it takes a year or more to get that stock. breeding out wont work

she is friends with greenfire farm and also told me that they are aware the birds they have are not great and they will be acquiring some better stock next year

Emily is also friends with the supplier that gets GreenFire Farms their stock

Thanks to Silverfox, GaryDean26 and a few other posts--- I found this:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/15/01...eeder-to-produce-applegarth-skyline-layer.htm

Article is from Back to 2009 HOWEVER, it does imply to me that the Cream Legbar didn't go extinct. Applegarth got the Cambridge birds in 1957. Do y'all read it the same way? And interestingly wasn't it 1958 that Punnett got the bird accepted in the UK? SO - that may be the answer to my question. Seems Applegarth wanted a more productive bird and developed the Skyline from Punnett birds. I wonder if Skyline is autosexing or is a hybrid? So fascinating. This may be a direct link to Punnett's original flock.

Last edited:
Thanks to Silverfox, GaryDean26 and a few other posts--- I found this:

http://www.fwi.co.uk/articles/15/01...eeder-to-produce-applegarth-skyline-layer.htm

Article is from Back to 2009 HOWEVER, it does imply to me that the Cream Legbar didn't go extinct. Applegarth got the Cambridge birds in 1957. Do y'all read it the same way? And interestingly wasn't it 1958 that Punnett got the bird accepted in the UK? SO - that may be the answer to my question. Seems Applegarth wanted a more productive bird and developed the Skyline from Punnett birds. I wonder if Skyline is autosexing or is a hybrid? So fascinating. This may be a direct link to Punnett's original flock.

You're right ChicKat, the CLB did not go totally extinct. It just lost popularity at some point in the last 50 years and some truly dedicated breeders got it going again and breeding closer to standard than many of the birds in the interim. Many people credit Applegarth with the recreation of the Cream Legbar, not because it was gone, but because he did much to get it back up to par 2-3 decades ago. One of our wonderful advisers from GB told us that some of the original legbar lines were still to be found on a few of the descendant's farms of the original contributors to the breed, and their blood runs in many of the beautiful varieties that were created using CLBs.
Punnett introduced the Cream Legbar at the 1947 Dairy Show, and the breed received a written standard in 1948 from the Poultry Club of Great Britain.

Back
Top Bottom