The Legbar Thread!

Thank you!
big_smile.png

I've posted this on the other Legbar threads too. I'm trying to decide on which male to keep. They're 7 1/2 months old. So, they still have some growing. What are everyone's honest thoughts on them based on these pictures? Number 1 Number 2 Number 3 Number 4
Not to be harsh but I wouldn't use any of them just based on the splotchy earlobes and bad tails. If I had to choose just one bird, I would go with the bottom male and cull really hard.

Not to be harsh but I wouldn't use any of them just based on the splotchy earlobes and bad tails. If I had to choose just one bird, I would go with the bottom male and cull really hard.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say
hide.gif

Actually I am rather surprised to see all these Rees boys having so many faults. The line was hyped up to be the cream of the crop and I have yet to see one Rees boy that I like.

If it was me I would find a nice Cream roo from a different line and breed him with the Rees girls. I wouldn't stick with a line exclusively because of the name if they aren't producing nice birds.

I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say :oops:

Actually I am rather surprised to see all these Rees boys having so many faults. The line was hyped up to be the cream of the crop and I have yet to see one Rees boy that I like.

If it was me I would find a nice Cream roo from a different line and breed him with the Rees girls. I wouldn't stick with a line exclusively because of the name if they aren't  producing nice birds.

I am in the same boat. Out of all the Ree's line birds, none have met my standard. They all seem so small and have other color/type issues. It is rather disappointing that GFF did that to folks but buyer beware.

I agree with both of you. I also tend to dislike the Rees males I have seen so far. My Rees male that I have is far from a good example, as well as many of the pics of Rees males I have seen thus far. I do however like many of the females from the Rees line.

Last edited:
I agree with both of you. I also tend to dislike the Rees males I have seen so far. My Rees male that I have is far from a good example, as well as many of the pics of Rees males I have seen thus far. I do however like many of the females from the Rees line.
Although I don't like the Rees females either (and no offense intended but to me they look like elderly ladies with pulled out hair) however for folks who like them, may be Reese's line may only have focussed on hens and not roosters. In either case GFF should have made some disclosure while charging $200/chick.

Agree with @flyingmonkeypoop that #4 is the better of the four.

For all of us--- Remember that not every chick that hatches is a show winner.  The odds are very long that a chick will win in the genetic lottery -- maybe 10% of all the chicks hatched are truly keepers.  

But the thing with this line is that we know GFF started with a smaller number of birds so to see so much variation means that her stock must not have been as stable as some. About the only consistant thing that shows through is the smaller size. I haven't ever hatched a legbar with that much red before and I have done outcrossing. Even the high tails have vanished once I used breeder birds with lower tails. I know I shouldn't be so judgemental but it just seems like bad business

Does anyone know if Jill Rees had a male and a female line?
I believe she helped select birds for GFF so it would seem odd they they are not good, if not fabulous.

I strongly suspect that GFF will bring in another line pretty soon, and they will of course be expensive to start with. At least then the gene pool in this country will be getting diverse.

I do not like my Rees boys much at all either, and kept 3 out of a dozen or so that came, They may be improving with age.

They will be bred to "A" line girls, and the "A" line male to Rees girls. This male is third generation from a line of great , "low crowing" males that are real "gentlemen".
When I introduced 2 14 week Rees cockerels to the A line hens, the hens were all ready to show dominance and it was the cock who protected the new boys. Now the new boys hang out with him all the time and even sleep next to him - one on each side!

Back
Top Bottom