The Legbar Thread!

I've been lurking this thread for a while now, I have a pair of Legbars that I hatched out in September of last year. I was very lucky, I only got three eggs and two hatched, A PAIR! Now they have grown quite a bit and I think the hen is getting very close to laying I was wondering how they are looking. And thanks ahead for any critiques :)

Here is my boy, he is very protective over his hens (I have a tetra tint hen in with him too, and her eggs are fertile
yesss.gif
)

A closer shot of him, he had a very small crest as a chick too

Here he is with the hen, he won't let her out of his site, she has a little crest going on

These are the best shot I could get of her
Lucky hatch! Nice looking pair, your boy is especially light and should help give you some nice chicks. Congrats, wish I had that kind of luck with my eggs.

Wow, you are super fortunate! Not only did you get a pair, but just LOOK at the coloring!

Rooster's strong points: nice cream coloring, with just the right amount of chestnut (IMO), nice straight comb with 5 points, good yellow legs and beak, decent type, good eye color and ear lobe color. As he is young I would assume he will fill out more, it would be nice to see more substance on his chest. Small crest, would be nice if it were a little bigger but it is present and that's what matters. His tail angle is too high but if that's the worst of your problems he is fantastic!

I can't see the hen as well, but she seems pretty good too. It appears she has cream hackles not gold hackles- can you confirm that? Her tail also is WAY too high unless it is just excitement at being pinned with a camera.

Welcome!
Rinda

Lucky hatch! Nice looking pair, your boy is especially light and should help give you some nice chicks. Congrats, wish I had that kind of luck with my eggs.

Wow, you are super fortunate! Not only did you get a pair, but just LOOK at the coloring!

Rooster's strong points: nice cream coloring, with just the right amount of chestnut (IMO), nice straight comb with 5 points, good yellow legs and beak, decent type, good eye color and ear lobe color. As he is young I would assume he will fill out more, it would be nice to see more substance on his chest. Small crest, would be nice if it were a little bigger but it is present and that's what matters. His tail angle is too high but if that's the worst of your problems he is fantastic!

I can't see the hen as well, but she seems pretty good too. It appears she has cream hackles not gold hackles- can you confirm that? Her tail also is WAY too high unless it is just excitement at being pinned with a camera.

Welcome!
Rinda
Thanks, I was thinking he was to light compared to pictures I've seen. And for the hen I think they are cream hackles, they look similar in color to the boys coloring. I am new to these guys so not completely sure. Her tail is carried pretty high normally, but not as bad as the pictures, she was not very happy about me taking her pics. The boy is also very bonded to her, and gets upset if I mess with her to much, but he doesn't seem to care if I mess with his other hen. Again thanks
big_smile.png

Yoie---

I agree that your pair is very nice. Congrats on the success of getting a beautiful pair out of 3-eggs. Do you know the source of the eggs?

My taste definitely runs to the neat -- well tailored cests. I am not fond of the ones that look like they are part of a Polish cross--- Too much of a good thing for me. Your birds will be interesting to track. Cream Legbar hens usually start laying around 24-weeks. I guess variations in weather, lighting, feed etc. can all affect that. Keep us posted on the progress, and when she does lay that first egg!!

Last edited:
Yoie---

I agree that your pair is very nice. Congrats on the success of getting a beautiful pair out of 3-eggs. Do you know the source of the eggs?

My taste definitely runs to the neat -- well tailored cests. I am not fond of the ones that look like they are part of a Polish cross--- Too much of a good thing for me. Your birds will be interesting to track. Cream Legbar hens usually start laying around 24-weeks. I guess variations in weather, lighting, feed etc. can all affect that. Keep us posted on the progress, and when she does lay that first egg!!
I actually won the eggs off of ebay, it was a lucky bid too. I somehow managed to only get them for 99 cents, plus shipping, no one else had bid on them. I was very nervous about setting such a small amount of eggs so I set some of my mixes along with them, just in case. I believe the seller was foghornsleghorns? I was also told they were all from separate pens so they wouldn't be siblings.

As for laying, all my hens stopped laying this winter, between the funky weather we had here one day 70's the next freezing, it was just odd. Over the past week my hens one by one have started laying again, the weather is starting the even out. And my little Legbar hens comb is really starting to redden now. I actually took pictures of the eggs before I set them too and they were a pretty blue, with a hint of green. So the hens eggs should follow her color right?

Yes it should, of course remember the rooster's genetics are in the egg but don't show up in the color, but given that your birds look "right" you should get blue eggs.

Back
Top Bottom