The Legbar Thread!

More legbars hatching today! In addition to a couple of the rose combed legbars, I have a few from Ingrid (my original hen) that are adorable. They are still in the hatcher but tonight I'll put them in the brooder and do a head count.

Since this is the legbar thread, I figure I might mention it here that I am almost tempted to start working on a crested light brown legbar. The light brown cockerel that I have from last year is still eye catching to me so I might keep a couple of the light brown chicks that hatch from the rose combed ladies since not all will be cream and try to keep a trio of crested light brown legbars. So if I do this, that means that instead of the 3 legbar pens that I originally wanted when I started last year, it looks like I might have 4 or 5 pens of legbars if I add the light brown birds and also a trio from another local breeder (they are selling theirs for triple what I sell mine for but we agreed on a trade of a trio for a trio). If that all works out, I'll have my original pure line, my rose comb line production line, my show line, the light brown project, and also the new bloodline which are more leghorn looking than the birds I have. Pictures will be coming soon of the new chicks

goodpost.gif
That's an amazing plan! Looking forward to pictures!

I just had an awesome hatch, went to bed last night with two chicks hatched and four pipped. Woke up this morning to six chicks! All eggs that went into lockdown hatched. One of my best hatches in a while! I ended up with 5 boys and 1 girl, not the greatest odds, but I'll take that one girl! I am keeping one boy to add to my flock, as backup, but DH wants me to find homes for the rest of the boys. So if anyone is looking for any legbar boys I've got 4, LOL!

And here is a quick pic of the group, not the greatest but you can see the little girl in the middle. I lost my camera charger and had to make due with my phone for the pic. I'll try to get some better pics later as they settle in the brooder. I am really liking one of the really light boys.

Back
Top Bottom