The Legbar Thread!

Meanwhile, here is my first Easter Legger (Cream Legbar rooster, Easter Egger hen):

lau.gif
Love it!!

Hi Perkhens and :welcome

I hope someone else can help as I have only started with the breed this year.

I will say that they are feather out faster than any other breed I have worked with. Especially the wing feathers, about 2 weeks ahead of my heritage breeds and maybe a month faster than the Brahmas.  My not-quite-4 week-olds were out for a visit last evening and unexpectedly one flew from my daughter on the couch over me and did a crash landing on the far side of my chair--over 6 feet horizontally! The only breed that has been close were my Wellies. Must be the Leghorn. Since they are about the same age as yours I will go weigh my chicks and if you can weigh yours you will have a comparison.

Cadbury is an awesome name!  Post pictures!

ETA: Clara is 186 gms/ 6 5/8 oz, and  Arthur is 231 grams/ 8 1/8 oz

Thanks, dretd! Cadbury's wings are crazy big for her little body compared to my Welsummer and 2 Swedish Flowers! I don't have an appropriate scale to weigh her, but since you think yours are just under or at half a pound, I feel better about her size. Here she is:

Quote: Awww, she's very cute! My hubby looked at the latest two and remarked they were very ugly...in a gawkwardly cute sort of way. I think its the combination of the disproportionate feather growth and that fluffy crest.
love.gif

Awww, she's very cute!  My hubby looked at the latest two and remarked they were very ugly...in a gawkwardly cute sort of way.  I think its the combination of the disproportionate feather growth and that fluffy crest.  :love

Here's a better picture of her wings - they extend probably an inch or two past her little butt. Trying to be patient for the rest of her to catch up!

My roo (13 weeks) and favorite girl (10 weeks).

She is definitely more gold instead of cream, but she has the best crest.

So glad you posted these. I have been told that my only CL is 'obviously' a pullet but no-one seems able to describe how they are so sure. Mine looks just like your pullet and is also 10 weeks old so I am now convinced (and very pleased!)
Does anyone know what sort of age they are likely to start laying?

So glad you posted these. I have been told that my only CL is 'obviously' a pullet but no-one seems able to describe how they are so sure. Mine looks just like your pullet and is also 10 weeks old so I am now convinced (and very pleased!)
Does anyone know what sort of age they are likely to start laying?

Cream Legbars are autosexing so you can tell the difference at hatch (once they're dry). They stay different as they're growing too.
Pullets are born with dark chipmunk stripes running from head to tail, usually have dark eyeliner, and sometimes a small light dot on their heads. Cockerals are light grey with a mottled look to them (not clear dark striping), and a large light dot on their heads. Their barring becomes more pronounced as they age, but they are always shades of grey.

24 weeks seems the average for winter/spring babies. It can take longer if they're hatched in the summer or fall and don't get enough sun around the 20 week mark.

Last edited:

Thanks for that. Here it is in the first few days.
and at about 8 weeks. I understand it is not a very good example of CL but still nice to know whether to call it Stu or Sue!!

Back
Top Bottom