The Legbar Thread!

. . . The other girl in this pic, who was my fav since she had the coolest crest, disappeared one night about a week ago. For various reasons we are rebuilding our barn. They are in a temporary enclosure and I'll be danged if she wasn't the only one that disappeared. Not one of the silly BOs or RIRs - no. My fav legbar... . . .

***mumbles obscenities under my breath***

I swear, some chickens have a sign on their backs: "I'm Expensive. Eat Me First."

Thanks for the response! About that girl, you couldn't see it in the other pics, but I think she has a major flaw that most would cull her for. Has anyone else seen a legbar pullet with two different color legs? This one had one leg that has almost a green tint to it.

The pic is a few weeks old and my apologies for the blurriness. I had to crop it in really close to get a better look at the legs. Thoughts? I will keep her for eggs, but I'm afraid that breeding her is probably not a good idea. Which, if that is the case, puts me in a place of having to get more pullets. The other girl in this pic, who was my fav since she had the coolest crest, disappeared one night about a week ago. For various reasons we are rebuilding our barn. They are in a temporary enclosure and I'll be danged if she wasn't the only one that disappeared. Not one of the silly BOs or RIRs - no. My fav legbar...

So sorry that you lost your favorite girl...does the one with the greenish leg limp or anything? I've seen a color like that in photos people have posted about injuries. Sometimes when there isn't enough blood flow the area kinda looks green like that. I'd check her out, clean the leg, and maybe rub a natural healing agent like Nustock on it to see what happens.

@Steen: Your boy is looking great. Don't over worry the ears yet...he's still got some growing to do!

She doesn't limp. They free range during the day and she's very active. Its been this way for several weeks and since she doesn't appear like it hurts, I've just chalked it up as a physical defect...

I didn't think about mold. Can chickens grow green mold on their legs? I know I need to examine her close up, but she's skittish and a total bugger to catch. Sounds like a job for my 6 yr old...

I always check my girls over once they are roosting, while it is still light to see but they are more subdued because of roosting, especially my legbars as they are very skittish

Here is one of the rose combed boys. He is calmer and has a better comb. Th.e other good male has a split in the front but is lighter on the back.

Thanks for the response! About that girl, you couldn't see it in the other pics, but I think she has a major flaw that most would cull her for. Has anyone else seen a legbar pullet with two different color legs? This one had one leg that has almost a green tint to it.

The pic is a few weeks old and my apologies for the blurriness. I had to crop it in really close to get a better look at the legs. Thoughts? I will keep her for eggs, but I'm afraid that breeding her is probably not a good idea. Which, if that is the case, puts me in a place of having to get more pullets. The other girl in this pic, who was my fav since she had the coolest crest, disappeared one night about a week ago. For various reasons we are rebuilding our barn. They are in a temporary enclosure and I'll be danged if she wasn't the only one that disappeared. Not one of the silly BOs or RIRs - no. My fav legbar...

Yes, I had one pullet tht had green spots on the legs. I actually was considering type breeding for eggs since out of my 15 or so pullets she was laying the largest eggs, but I lost her to the heat about 3 weeks ago (she is the only CLB I have lost to heat). I came across a genetics paper on green spots on legs of chicken before we lost her that I wanted to read to see what was going on. I don't remember where it was and probablly will never find it again. I have seen lots of willow (green) colored shanks on Cream Legbars and think this may be part of what is going on. Just some pigments being expressed in the demis.

Quote:
here's one of my boys that i hope doesn't get anymore color. he is 12 weeks old i now.

I am glad to see you are having good things come out of your birds. That cockerel looks like a keeper. Nice tail angle, good color, proud breast, good head, well tucked up wings, and small crest. :)

here's one of my boys that i hope doesn't get anymore color. he is 12 weeks old i now. . I like his comb with the slits in the comb being the at the same depth and length of points are the same. now I'm just hoping the wave goes away. The 2ND pic shows the 6 points all though the front point is very small. His sickles are coming in and his earlobes are looking good so far, A light blue color. Father was yellow ears, mother had green tint lol the 3 smaller ones in the bottom pic to the right are 13 weeks old

i Disturbed nap time.
Steen, Your boys are beautiful!

I am jealous and hoping to hatch some that look this good.

I came across a genetics paper on green spots on legs of chicken before we lost her that I wanted to read to see what was going on. I don't remember where it was and probablly will never find it again.

I don't think this is the same paper since the other paper listed the breed the studies were done in in the title, but the "The inheritance of Shank color in Chickens" (1935) by C.W. Knox indicated that there "may show spots of dermal pigments epecially in the females and Db males".

So I wonder then, if I do breed her in future - especially as her somewhat creamy hackles could definitely be improved on rather easily compared to a fully gold pullet - there's a good chance that any male offspring would not develop the pigmentation in the shanks, but any female offspring probably would...?... Again, not saying I WILL breed her. Just playing with the hypothetical.

Back
Top Bottom