The Little Hoodlums @ 15 Days & 9 Days (PICS)

I'd lay money on it that the BR in your 1st photo is a male while the 2nd one is a female. I think you got a pair. Post results when you know for sure please! I think I'm gettin' the hang of sexing BR's!
lol.png

I'll try to get better pics of the pair today if I can get them out in the daylight before the rain hits this afternoon. I sort of do think I have a pair, but if so, the boy just isn't being quite as obvious as they usually are. Maybe he's pulling a Zoe/Zane thing, LOL.

I'm completely serious. And my name's not Shirley, LOL.
lol.png
Tried some pics, but only got good ones of the first baby I'm already sure is a pullet.
barnie.gif
Anyway, to confirm that, here is that chick, showing the legs as requested by beefster. I'll try the other one again in a little while when I go back out there:
DCP_9967.jpg

DCP_9968.jpg

Well, I didn't get a chance to take more pics today because when I went back out there, one of the New Hampshire pullets I bought from the feedstore just seemed a bit too lethargic to me (they get them shipped from Ideal). We spent time making her eat some chopped hardboiled egg and drink from a syringe to be sure she was getting nutrition. What is it with us this month???
barnie.gif
he.gif
She'd better not die on me!

You've got a really nice set up for chicks! (Being a newbie to chickens/chicks) I'd have to give you a BLUE RIBBON award and its helping me decide the next step for my BO chicks, I wish other totally newbies who don't know anything at all about housing and keeping chicks would see your set up as I've learned a lot just by your pics on this post:D
Thank you! I've got more plans for that wood I took apart and plan to get off right now, and get goin'!!!

I am sorry you are having such a troublesome time right now. I was really happy to read of the good things going on at your place. Things will get better. They have to.

Remember a while back when I asked you about keeping other cockerals and what you were planning for your breeding program? With this big shake up have you given any idea other directions you might go with your flock?

I know you must feel stuck in the mud but it always helps to get a focus on a plan for the future and try to turn some wheels to get some forward momentum going again.

I wish Zane and Loreli a healthy recovery. I hope this streak of rotten luck passes by your place quickly and you can get back to normal. I hope this baby pulls through as well.

I love the chick photos. There is something so funny when they are feathering out and looking scruffy.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.
hugs.gif

snowydiamonds, thank you for the compliments on the setup. This 8x8 coop is actually my original coop and it just seemed right to move Suede and his two ladies out of it to make room for my up and coming next wave of future layers. Why not start them out where they'll end up if I can, right? Then, when the time comes to integrate and the extras are gone, I can just open the door to the 12' addition and it will be one big coop again with all the roost and nest space I need. The Blue Orps are currently living in the former nursery coop and we need to plan an addition to that soon, or build a new one entirely, depending on what is more feasible.
MissP, interesting you should say that about getting a handle on the future. I've spent last night and part of today discussing it with my hubby, trying to decide what I really want out of this group of babies and what my next step will be. I think I've made at least one decision; well, maybe two, LOL. I'll fill you in on the details later.
wink.png
I sure need to have a plan.

BTW, Lorelei was following me around today so I could turn over rocks for her to check for bugs. She's still moving around, albeit quite gingerly. Dare I hope she'll turn this around again? I dont know, but I sure hope so. She's still so thin, it's alarming, but she is eating and drinking and foraging, just a mite slowly. Zane made many attempts to stand today and once, I thought he might actually do it, so he hasn't given up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom