The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Cinny

Cinny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Nashville Tennessee
    Thanks it does.....mine are not quite big enough to let them out to free range. I actually use a child's pen and put them in that for several hours a day while we have a glass of wine and watch them interact.....but they have finally started using it after I put it in the coop....go figure....now sometimes all 5 of them crown into it. That won't be the case for long because my 3 older ones are getting quite big, but by then I'll be able to let them out and not worry about that darn Hawk that keeps flying around and we have lots of garden they can dust in. Good idea about using sand, next time I'll try that.

2. Texokie1

Texokie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Hey y'all - quick question: I have a 3-month old Easter Egger that I think may be eggbound (although I thought she would be too young to lay). I had the girls turned out while my horses were getting their annual exam by the vet, and his technician looked over and "ya got one about to lay an egg." Sure enough, Ruby was squatting down in some dirt next to the house. When I tried to go and check her, she got up, hobbled a few steps, squatted again (and kind of repeated in an awkward squat/hobble gait...it kinda reminded me of a dog that was scouring). After a few minutes, she seemed to be moving fine again, but when I checked her abdomen, I could feel what SEEMED like a small egg (maybe an inch or so from her vent). She doesn't seem to be in distress at the moment...should I give her a day or so and see if she produces the egg? Isn't 3 months too young for an Easter Egger to start trying to lay? (This one has always been an odd one, but STILL...) Any ideas/advice?

3. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I would leave her alone. If she is not in distress I would not worry. 3 months? really? [​IMG]

4. Texokie1

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    'K...thanks for the advice. I'll give her a few days and see if she does it again and/or lays an egg. Right?!?! I thought 3 months would be WAY too young to start laying...I just started throwing a coupla tablespoons of oystershell out for them while they free-range...maybe I need to put a free-choice feeder of it out for her.........and I guess I better start converting them over to a layer ration...

5. Jilly999

Jilly999 New Egg

Sep 24, 2009
    TN
    Does anyone know of anyone who does chicken processing in Middle TN?

...I would be willing to learn but I'm disabled so I'd need some help (and of course need to be taught).

There's a thread in the forums "Individuals willing to help process by state, area" but I don't see anyone in TN (and it hasn't been updated in a year).

Thanks

6. Texokie1

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Actually, I found a guy in Spring Hill at the Columbia Farmers' Market that will process yours' when he does his own (you have to coordinate with him) for $5/bird. Seems a little high...but I could be wrong...I had his card but can't find it. [​IMG] If you go to the Columbia Farmers' Market on Saturday, he should be there (with a big trailer selling frozen chicken, grass-finished beef, and free-range pork/sausage).

7. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I would not change them ALL over to layer feed. Just free choice should be fine. I do that some when they start laying. It may be a fluke and she will lay the one egg and not do it again for months. I would think laying this early is a BAD thing. She my have issues down the road.

8. Texokie1

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Thanks again for the additional info. Right now I feed twice daily (providing the feed from the previous meal has been consumed), and they get fresh veggies/fruit in their tractor (which is moved every-other-day to provide new grass/clover) and when they free-range. I wasn't planning on starting to switch the girls over for another month yet...and then slowly at that. But you recommend going back to free-choice on the chick starter, too?

Bless her heart, Ruby (the one with the issues) is a total trainwreck. She is overly nervous (as compared with the others), and is the only one (so far, anyway) to get hurt. I went to put her up from free-ranging a few weeks ago (the same as every day), and she freaked...flew/ran face first into a nest box and banged herself up (had to treat her with WonderDust and keep her separated until the bleeding stopped). She started out as one of the larger chicks...now she is one of the smallest pullets I have. She looks nothing like the other Easter Eggers I ordered at the same time/from the same hatchery...no beard, different stance, ALOT smaller, etc. She may just be one that is destined to be a poor do-er...I was afraid that her trying to lay an egg this early couldn't be good...

9. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I don't feed layer feed till they are laying. I don't switch them gradually, when they lay they get layer feed. I use pullet grower till then, same thing but no calcium. I have not used anything from like TSC or Coop but don't they have a finisher grower you can use?

10. Texokie1

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    I'll have to check...I get mine down at a little feed store here in Columbia...I'll see what they have in the way of finisher-grower. I actually thought chickens were kinda like dogs/horses in that their gut doesn't like quick changes in feed? Might be a moot point for the moment anyhow...I checked her last night and this morning, and couldn't feel anything. Checked the nest boxes and coop floor - again, nothing. I am starting to think maybe she was constipated, and it resolved itself...whew!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by