The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    A fox got my neighbors SLW roo too.... I now have to grow him up one. I might can get you a young one in a few weeks. I hatched several batches from his eggs and I am going to send all the SLW roos from his hatches to the ROO farm. If you want one you can have one or two.... when we figure out the roos. I am going to give him an unrelated SLW roo that is not hatchery to improve his flock.

WHERE IS EVERYONE! Is it spring? Are you cleaning? Raising chicks?

Becky, I put a pullet with your Exchequer Roo.... I may change my mind on that pullet. We will see. She lays an OK egg as big as my BCM eggs but not huge. Probably a large..... maybe bigger. I will keep an eye on her eggs ans see if I like the size. I have more if not.

I finally got all my birds rearranged now I have to clean pens and move pullets out back to grow out. That will free up some brooder boxes for these last few chicks. If I get a broody I may let her hatch some babies but I am done for awhile anyway.

2. TinTennessee

TinTennessee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Springfield , TN.
    My Coop
    Just taking it easy around the house today. I did mow. Took about 1 1/2 hours.
    Related question: do your chicks freak out when you mow around the coop?
    Yesterday I bought some mealies for them, 1st time mealie treat & they loved them. I might have to get some from you Donna them things ain't "CHEAP." Pun intended. LoL:lol:

3. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I don't know if they freak out or not, Hubby rarely mows near the coops..... I freak out, cuz he has run over everything and even FLUNG a rock the size of a brick and just missed my car.

That reminds me, I need to mow around the shop and weed eat too. Let me know what your days look like.

4. EconMan

EconMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I've been out of town the past couple weeks. Finally back home for a bit.

I have a couple Roos if anyone is interested. Black Copper Marans and Blue Barred Rock. 7 weeks old. Possibly a Black Barred Rock, still undecided on this one.

5. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville

Well it was a big snake eating my pullet! Dang lost an ee pullet.

6. Cinny

Cinny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2012
    Nashville Tennessee
    Yesterday I took a big slice of cantaloupe....smeared it with Greek yogurt and then covered that with a sunflower, nut chicken treat I had. Wish I had time to get a picture but they attacked it!! Special treat they loved.

7. Happy Henhouse

Happy Henhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2012
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Hey just wondering if anyone local has some hatching eggs available. I prefer bantams looking for WC black or blue polish, salmon faverolles, buff brahmas, orpingtons (lavender preferably) and some silkies. If anyone has any of these available or especially if someone has several of these breeds I'd love to pick up some eggs at your convenience. Thanks.

8. TinTennessee

TinTennessee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2012
    Springfield , TN.
    My Coop
    Sorry you lost a pullet :(, but after the pic I saw I don't think that snake will be eating any more chickens. :D

9. BitByChickenBug

BitByChickenBug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    My Coop
    Anyone have very young or about to hatch buff Orpington or buff brahma chicks this week or next? I'm looking for one to add to my three coming by mail. I'm near rockvale. Thanks!

10. Leah21

Leah21 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    All chickens love a spot to dust bathe and a large litter pan filled with play sand and some wood ash is like a day at the spa!
    I copied this from a neat article for beginners: http://lifeatcobblehillfarm.blogspot.com/2011/03/chicken-coop-101-thirteen-lessons-weve.html

I haven't made a "dust bath" like you have or as in the picture, but I researched it a bit. So far we haven't needed one. Our coop/run is covered and stays really dry even in a downpour. My husband dug and tilled the dirt in the run and added peat moss and sand.The dirt has stayed loose and the girls love to dust and scratch in in. It has also been great to just take my shovel and scoop dirt over top of the poop in the run to deter flies and any smell. I let the free range a bit and they love to dust in my flower beds...the shady ones. Hope this helps! ???​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by