The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. BitByChickenBug

BitByChickenBug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    My Coop
    I'm so unrealistic. I want one of everything. I'm building a tractor, so have l
    a limit on numbers. Should my last and final chick be a Dominique or ameraucana... Those are the two ive been debating since I wasn't able to get a Swedish Flower Hen chick... Thoughts? Is there something else out there I just shouldn't pass up? Currently I'm brooding a pair of Mille fleur bantams, ( the rooster I think I'll need to sell), a white leghorn, lemon cuckoo orpington, speckled Sussex, silver laced Wyandotte, and a white crested blue polish. I'm literally trying to have a rainbow of birds- am I just missing the boat entirely on something?
    Thanks for your opinions!

2. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Are you trying to have a Rainbow of Birds or Egg color? Easter Eggers are very colorful... they can be. Ameraucanas are not really. Most are solid colors and the ones that are not solid are very hard to find. Most of your birds lay a brown egg... I think..... I like color in my basket. That is why I have Marans, EE and Ameraucanas, Olive Eggers, WL and lots of brown layers. I like colorful birds too....

3. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Guess what we found today.... A full rain barrel... but the odd thing was it was full of eggs? IDK from what, I would guess a frog, not sure how they did that teetering on the edge of the barrel. They did not pick a good place to lay eggs. [​IMG] it was really full of floating little tiny eggs about the size of a pea or smaller, clear with a black dot.

4. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    I have looked and I had it bookmarked, but the website is gone.... anyone know when the Cookeville Auction is? I can't find anything.

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee

I am about to set some Swedish Flower Hen eggs, some Araucana and EE's. You are welcome to whichever one you want when they hatch. I had a broody sit on 8 SFH eggs but it was during the worst of the 100+ heat and only four chicks made it. So not enough to spare from that hatch. I've got some EEs that are almost 6 weeks old.

6. BitByChickenBug

BitByChickenBug Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2012
    My Coop
    Yes, Carol! I was the one salivating over your last hatch, lol!

Initially I was after colorful birds, but of course I want everything, and am interested in colorful eggs now too. Do some EE's or arucanas lay "bluer" eggs than others?

7. Lots A Cluckin

Lots A Cluckin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    you are talking about Triple W auction right?...if so it is every Tuesday it starts after the goat sale and the goat sale starts at 5:00 and then after the goats are done they start the chickens it usually starts about 6:30 -7:00 but if you are going to be selling you want to be there about 3:30 -4:00 to get in line because they will give you a number the lower number you have the quicker you get to sell your chickens...here is their number and address you can put this in your GPS if you have one and it should take you right to it....when you get their the first thing you see is the horse and mule sale barn...just drive around back it is the last sale barn....let me know when you are going we will try to come that day also...we may sale some of ours too.

1050 West Cemetery Road Cookeville, TN 38506
    (931) 432-3355

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  8. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    Well poo never mind link wont work.

9. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    The exotic auction is different.... it is like once every three months or something. You also have to be npip to sell there

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by