The Middle Tennessee Thread

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Texokie1

Texokie1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee

Yep...they are in a tractor (that I move about every two-three days). They are also free-ranged a couple of hours each day. I'll ask my vet about a fecal to check for worms...thanks! It is just weird...they seem perfectly healthy otherwise...just seem to be putting all their energy into getting taller (not putting any into meat). A couple weeks ago, I was getting concerned they were too fat...then they shot-up...

2. Texokie1

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee

Yep...they are in a tractor (that I move about every two-three days). They are also free-ranged a couple of hours each day. I'll ask my vet about a fecal to check for worms...thanks! It is just weird...they seem perfectly healthy otherwise...just seem to be putting all their energy into getting taller (not putting any into meat). A couple weeks ago, I was getting concerned they were too fat...then they shot-up...

3. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My larger fowl seem to grow in spurts. They get lean and leggy and then fatten up. They seem to do several cyclesof that until they reach their final size and shape. Some breeds seem to do it more than others.
    Do try worming them and make sure you don't have mites or some other parasite. Other than that, just watch their food intake to make sure they are eating.

4. Texokie1

Mar 8, 2012
    Middle Tennessee
    Oh, they are eating me out of house-and-home...I'm feeding them crumbles twice a day PLUS garden remnants (squash, zucchini, tomatoes) PLUS cold fruits/electrolytes during the hot weather PLUS whatever they can forage. I handle them daily (when putting them up from free-ranging), and check legs/vents for critters (we had ticks on our horses pretty badly early on this spring), and haven't noticed any mites/fleas/etc. - and their feathers seem to be in good shape (dropping a few more due to the heat, but nice and soft/shiny). I just talked to Maury Co. Animal Hospital (where we take the dog/horses) and they can do a fecal check for between $8 - $15 (not TOO bad) - I think I'll run them a sample to be on the safe side.

5. DMRippy

DMRippy Pallet Queen Premium Member

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Hey I need some help.... I need to find 1 white wyandotte pullet young, quality is no concern. I have a friend that is getting chickens in the next few week and the one thing that perked his 95 year old father up was that he was getting chickens and WHITE Wyandotts are special to them. If anyone knows where I might could find 1 young pullet in the next month (about 1-2 months old when I need to get them) They would be ECSTATIC and it would make a 95 year old man exceedingly happy [​IMG] I know they are hard to find, so just thought I would ask.

BTW Hatching eggs would be ok, just a few so I could get 1 pullet. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  6. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Hey Donna. There is a guy in KY who claims to have SQ whites and black. He is charging 25 a pair. Id check with with him. He might have eggs he could sell. I saw a pic and they arnt bad at all.

Hope you find some, and make that 95 yr old man happier then a kid in a bouncy castle! Lol

1 person likes this.
  7. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    Do you have any info like a name or number? PM me if you do. Maybe I can get them while I am in KY.

8. matlock585

matlock585 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    White Bluff, TN
    So I have a moral/ethical/business thing I need some advice on...
    As many of you know, I work in the sheet metal shop at a roofing supply company here locally.
    For four years I was their specialty fabricator making most of their custom items. I got really good at mathematically laying out anything I wanted, big or small. Now I have a small following of advice seekers who I am more than happy to explain some of my tricks and tips with, but I've become aware of the fact that one of them has totally and deliciously taken advantage of me! [​IMG]

It's this Lebanese guy that's a huge PIA. He comes in every now and then and he usually has some really weird project. His payments "fail" sometimes ( quite often ). He's smart with working metal, so he and I click on that. He knows I can tell him how to do something.

Well, he comes in a couple months ago and told me he had a big roof to do that was a dome. We were super busy in the shop so I told him if he would give me a couple days I would lay his dome out and give him a plan for his pattern if he bought the sheets from me.
    He comes in again day before yesterday, and guess what the big dome is I told him how to layout... the top of the Islamic Center in Murfreesboro that's all over the news.
    And worse... he wants us to make the finials that go on the tops of the domes. My associate took the job on without the knowledge I have about it and agreed to take the job. They asked me to do the layout and so far I'm refusing on the basis of being Christian. I will not do the layout for that and they aren't about to make me!
    The First Lady is accusing me of being a racist... and the owners of my shop avoided my question.... and I'm pretty sure none of them read the chicken forum... so what would you do?

9. DMRippy

May 18, 2011
    Nashville
    IDK how I really feel about that WHOLE thing. I will warn you TN is a right to work state and you could be fired without giving you a reason. Tread lightly, this is your job. The legality of the center is a legal issue not yours. As a business your boss is concerned with the "job" not the religion. In this economy he can't turn work away. Someone will take the money. I am not telling you to go against your beliefs but can you afford to lose your job?

I had a job and took a class to work with international students. My conflict came from making "out of status" (illegally in the US) "in status" . Other things I had issues with too.... BIG issues. But what could I do.... it was my job! I signed a contract that said that I would do this that and the other AND anything else required of my position.

10. Countrypunk92

Countrypunk92 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Portland, tennessee
    Well , I agree with DMRippy. You dont want to loose your job.
    I wouldnt call it racist, because Islamic is not a race, its a religon.

But I am not going to give my opinion. I really do not like these conflicts of religion kind of thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by