The Middle Tennessee Thread

Thank you and 2000 ft Geez people in Fosterville have roos next to my church but. I only want pullets for now and my dad and I might get some chicks from. Tsc in Smyrna I hope I can get em

Hubbie and I have recently settled down in Overton County on 2 acres (surrounded by farms and forests) and we are done moving. I've been reading BYC for several years and now I get to put some of that reading to work. In a couple of weeks, my step-daughter will be coming to visit
big_smile.png
and we thought that would be the time to build our coop. I only want fresh eggs and the occasional meat from old layers. Since we are both retired and on fixed incomes, we plan to re-use as much as possible what's available on our property.

So a couple of questions for you Middle Tennessee folks...

1. We have practically brand new wooden fence panels (6'X8') that the previous owner installed along one boundary (neighbors say they didn't want to look at the adjacent field, go figure). I'd like to use those panels as the main framing and sides of the coop. The 4X4 support posts, we'll just cut off at ground level. Questions..anything harmful (to chickens) about re-using the panels for the coop? Even though the wood is fairly tight, do I need to use a clapboard style to cover the small areas between the individual boards?

2. I'd like to make the coop and run portable so I can move it around the property for pasturage and fertilization. The coop and run will be separate structures. Questions...We have a lawn/garden tractor to pull it but I'm concerned about weight and pulling it through all this clay. Any suggestions on wheels? And how often do you move the whole kit and kaboodle?

3. I understand about ventilation and shade for the chickens but what about winter time? And what about our T'storms and tornadoes?

I very much look forward to talking with everyone here, maybe eventually meeting some of you but most of all, I finally get to keep some chickens!!!

Sherry

HA! I have no idea what time the Trade Days thingie starts. I didn't think to ask that. The co-op opens at 7:30am though. I'm betting they plan to start it around 8am. I didn't ask because I'm not up and coherent that early on Saturdays.
tongue.png

I'm aiming to be there around 9am or so if that helps. I'm supposed to go to Columbia later in the day, so I probably won't linger past noonish. Do we all need to wear matching BYC t-shirts?
lol.png

Who would have ever thought I wouldn't have anything I can sell at trade days
idunno.gif

I have a trio of Partridge Wyandotte up for sale..I know there are a few liking those! They lay great and are real perrty
big_smile.png

and a trio of Mottled Bantam Cochins black and blue sq they don't take up much space so if they stay they stay but if anyone can use them then they should be used
Here is a few of my newer addition's I do have 3 adorable MFC Chicks in my basement as well

Awwww - the bunnies are so cute!
I was pretty much overrun with chicks but ended up selling 16 of them via Craigslist this afternoon. So I'm back down to manageable levels again.

I was thinking of going. But right now not enough to sell. In a few weeks ill have lionhead babies weaned and ready to go. Bred my blue tort double maned doe earlier this week. In about a month or two my black doe will.be ready to breed.
Im loving lionheads!

Ive seen your CL ads ,Holly. Wish I was closer. Could use a better lionhead buck..no offense to my lil oscar, he is great. But lacks the mane.

Im drooling on those wyandottes, too! Especially at the price..
Are they foley?
Might have to pass, Dont have the extra money, and i am not into them as much as the slw, blrw, or silver penciled.

I was thinking of going. But right now not enough to sell. In a few weeks ill have lionhead babies weaned and ready to go. Bred my blue tort double maned doe earlier this week. In about a month or two my black doe will.be ready to breed.
Im loving lionheads!
Ive seen your CL ads ,Holly. Wish I was closer. Could use a better lionhead buck..no offense to my lil oscar, he is great. But lacks the mane.
Im drooling on those wyandottes, too! Especially at the price..
Are they foley?
Might have to pass, Dont have the extra money, and i am not into them as much as the slw, blrw, or silver penciled.

Watch what you wish for...I'm practically driving by you next Sat on my way to Owensboro
lol.png
I have a proven DM pointed buck and the little BEW double mane buck.I'm selling about every lionhead need the cage space for our Mini Rex and Hollands Lion babies do sell good though.I have 6 that won't be weaned for 2 weeks and 4 are sold already.
The Wyandottes are Foley's last years chicks.Beautiful but just standing around and we can only eat so many eggs

ep.gif
HOLLY!! LOL You shouldn't of told me that!!!
How much for one of the bucks? I have a blue torte doe and a black doe, one is a real fluffy double mane, the other is a regular double maned,
for the dottes, I will have to see,
But Id buy eggs:]

How are your shows doing? Amped for a good bun season?
Watch what you wish for...I'm practically driving by you next Sat on my way to Owensboro
lol.png
I have a proven DM pointed buck and the little BEW double mane buck.I'm selling about every lionhead need the cage space for our Mini Rex and Hollands Lion babies do sell good though.I have 6 that won't be weaned for 2 weeks and 4 are sold already.
The Wyandottes are Foley's last years chicks.Beautiful but just standing around and we can only eat so many eggs

I was just up there last week and will be going back up on the 31st to Shephardsville...always on the road
th.gif

I have this boy he was born last July.$10.00This is the BEW pictured at 2 months he's a bit bigger now $15 Then I have 3 single mane bucks...Blue eye black torte with white,a solid torte and a broken torte he may be a double mane..just got him in horrible fur condition but he's pretty fluffy maned for a single.All $10 each Then a double mane broken torte doe she's a super mom available the end of the month

Shows are going as we expected..we lost both litters of show Jrs several weeks ago and all of my show does are now pregnant..hopefully so now with my best buck injured and possibly being forced to retire I'm skipping this weekend in AL with the gas prices so high.Doesn't look like I'm even showing next weekend in Owensboro but I'm picking up several so going anyway.At least I have some real good jr's now growing up for the late Spring shows and will have a bunch for the Summer/fall shows.I have several Grand Champion does due within a month..hoping I won't have many kits for sale all Summer
fl.gif

Now,I should have some of those eggs as well but one of my hens escaped to a calmer life the other day...that roo is quite a stinker so some may come out EE's

Back
Top Bottom