The Middle Tennessee Thread

Donna I took this from the Marans of America Club

The Silver-Black Birchen Marans David Hancox
This variety of Marans is not the most rarest that exists in the breed as it regularly appears as a result of Brown-Red and Silver-cuckoo crosses. Although rare, this variety is no in any risk of disappearing. We can define the Birchen (Silver-Black) Marans as a Brown-Red that has its copper/red plumage replaced by silver-white to give a Birchen pattern, ER. The silver (S) color factor, which is dominant to the gold (s+) allele, is present in the genotype of the Silver-Cuckoo variety. From this, we can understand the relative frequency of the silver (S) genes in the breed. So in the absence of the cuckoo allele, the Marans breeding stock, which carry (S) silver, give rise to Birchen birds from Brown-Red X Silver Cuckoo.

There is someone named Doug near Franklin (not The Poultry House Doug) that sells Birchen Marans. I have some of his that are about 3 months old now- they are nice....and very hardy!

Donna I took this from the Marans of America Club

The Silver-Black Birchen Marans David Hancox
This variety of Marans is not the most rarest that exists in the breed as it regularly appears as a result of Brown-Red and Silver-cuckoo crosses. Although rare, this variety is no in any risk of disappearing. We can define the Birchen (Silver-Black) Marans as a Brown-Red that has its copper/red plumage replaced by silver-white to give a Birchen pattern, ER. The silver (S) color factor, which is dominant to the gold (s+) allele, is present in the genotype of the Silver-Cuckoo variety. From this, we can understand the relative frequency of the silver (S) genes in the breed. So in the absence of the cuckoo allele, the Marans breeding stock, which carry (S) silver, give rise to Birchen birds from Brown-Red X Silver Cuckoo.

What I get from that is that if you cross a BCM with a Cuckoo some will have silver leaking too. They would not be pure Birchens. There would be TONS of gold leaking and that is VERY hard to get out of a Silver. I have gold in my Cuckoos and I am getting rid of my cuckoos and trying new cuckoos.

You could try the cross if you want to work on it for many many years. If you want birchens even if you get birchens, you are PROBABLY going to have some gold leaking and would have to CULL very hard to get it out of you flock. I have been following several on the Marans thread that have birchens, and they ditch the birds once they show any gold. It is just TOO hard to get rid of it.

I know BCM are basically birchens, only gold based.

Thanks everyone for the input it does sound like a lot of work Donna. I will have to call Doug up and get some of his Birchen I got my blue Barnevelders from him already he does have some nice birds. Donna I still have some nice Cuckoo's no feathered shanks I have 6 cockerels 4 need to go and 13 pullets some of them need a home as well.

Thanks everyone for the input it does sound like a lot of work Donna. I will have to call Doug up and get some of his Birchen I got my blue Barnevelders from him already he does have some nice birds. Donna I still have some nice Cuckoo's no feathered shanks I have 6 cockerels 4 need to go and 13 pullets some of them need a home as well.
I saw that, but one of my big problems is lack of feathered legs. I only have one pullet with feathered legs. I only have a few pullet/chicks with feathered legs. I have plans, but they will no longer include clean legs. They are working to be APA accepted and that will be a requirement so working toward that. Thanks

Make sure they don't have ANY gold leakage!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom