The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

kanga,
we use pine shavings in the raised boxes and pine needles in the ground boxes. We have several hudge white pines that drop needles we rake them up and use them for nest material.

Quote:
Oh... so thats what they mean by records... Then thats a sinch. I do that now with my Parrots, but I use a COmputer program, not paper. I need to make a paper backup incase something happens to my PC Program.

Thanks for all the help.

Yep I do both now, use to keep all mine on computer, lost the hard drive and didnt have anything backed up once, so it was gone, so now it's on both. But with the waterfowl, you'll have paper for sure off those 3-186 forms you have to fill out for each sell, also you have to maintain those for a few years too, dont just toss them at the end of the year

Quote:
yep, pine straw for all for me, being I have 130 acres in planted pines it was just a never ending supply for me, works very well in both, just pack it full and the hen will pack it down into a nice tight nest

Kanga I use hay for all my boxes. I buy 3 sqare bales and it is more than enough for all my boxes and scattering through out all my pens. Although Im going to try cedar shavings in some of my raised boxes this time. Speaking of which I built 6 new boxes today. Heres some pics.
7647_wood_boxes_002.jpg
7647_wood_boxes_003.jpg
7647_wood_boxes_004.jpg
the tall box is 1x2ft and the grund box is11/2 ft square the holes are 4inches (51/2 for treeduck boxes (note the divider on the ground box)

Dear Boggy Bottom Bantams,

I read the application, Im lost on 2 parts...

1st, on page 5 of 7, from link http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-9.pdf , it said, "Please plan ahead. Allow at least 60 days for your application to be processed. Some applications may take longer than 90 days to process."

So if I plan on getting Mandarins, I need to apply now so I can have my permit, because I also read that any animals that come into my posession or I sell have to be reported by the last day of the month. So I cant buy them with out the permit.

2nd, whom ever I get Manderins from should automaticlly provide me with form 3-186 right? What happens if they dont?

go back a few pages and look at the species list I provided for the permit. Some of these , actually most of them arent on the list, only North American species. YOU dont have to have the permit at all for mandarins.
also, for buying, you do not have to have the permit at all, just for transfers.

You can go out right now and buy every single migratory bird in the world if you want and there's not a thing they can say about it, as long as the breeder gives you the transfer forms. Those forms are your possession permit to own them. If you get them from a breeder and they dont provide you with a 3-186 form for the listed north american species, stop the purchase. Ask ahead about it if they are to be shipped. YOU HAVE TO HAVE THAT! It shows you bought them from a licensed breeder and not wild collected. If you have birds and dont have the transfer papers to back them, they can take them away from you. It's not big issue though, most any breeder will have them, they have to.

As for the plan ahead stuff, when you file an app for the permit, they come out and inspect your place, pens, birds, basically make sure have them safely penned, and are smart enough (lol) to breed them. For the most part, it's a technical thing. Use to they just took your money and sent in your papers, but now they do a pre inspection, as well as random yearly inspections. The plan ahead thing just means, dont plan to sell some in a week, if you havent got your paper work in yet.

I believe the last day of the month thing is, just as you are selling, they want their copies of your transfer papers mailed in to them monthly, dont hold them for 3-4 months at the time, if you sell, just send in your copies of the paper work to them at the end of each month. To my knowledge, you do not have to monthly report anything you buy, it's the sellers responsibility to report his sales. Your purchases will be reported at the end of the year on your annual report.

Me too. But we have till fall
tongue.png
And electrifying more pens and getting that pond dug and maybe another pen,dang I better get my butt to work
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom