The Migratory/Ornamental Waterfowl INFO Thread

What's the deal with feeding only the egg yolk? I bought a $5 food processor at a yard sale and I use it to chop whole hard-boiled eggs (shells and all) into a fine mix. Ducklings thrive on the egg and duck starter mix and I don't waste any time peeling dozens of eggs. I mix up a week's worth and store it in the fridge in a tupperware container.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am def gonna get some of them!!!! It is great if they are easy and also nice looking too:thumbsup

do that for sure, you'll love them.
sounds like you pretty much did everything right. From the other post though, you can see , sounds like it's just one of those things that happen with young waterfowl, some times despite our best efforts, some of them just dont make it.
Glad to hear you are going to stick with it though!!!

smile.png
There are so many great people on here who are so willing to step up and help. How in the world can I quit now!!!!! Thanks to each of you! The only ones who fail or the ones who quit trying!!!!!!

Dr. Todd :

What's the deal with feeding only the egg yolk? I bought a $5 food processor at a yard sale and I use it to chop whole hard-boiled eggs (shells and all) into a fine mix. Ducklings thrive on the egg and duck starter mix and I don't waste any time peeling dozens of eggs. I mix up a week's worth and store it in the fridge in a tupperware container.
thumbsup.gif

Like we were saying earlier. Our thinking on the yolk is what the embryo draws its nutrition from. But sounds like your way works fine also. On a quick note I dont use many yolks anyway except when my feed store is out of duck starter or for the diver ducks. I wish I knew why some babies die even though they eat,drink and everything seems fine. Like BBB said some of them just dont make it. I lost one of my baby canvasback yesterday for no apparent reason.(and they get nothing but TLC) But then again I feel blessed just to have them have ducklings since most the time they have to have a big pond to breed and do way better in northern climates than here. Im doing a swap out for some adult swinhoe pheasants for the remainders. Whoo! hoo!​

Last edited:
So check this out, i was searching around looking at different mandarin pictures particular other color mutations when i found a UK website that advertises "silver mandarins"
I have no idea if they are just the white mutation or if they truly are the silver/grey color, sent an email to them asking if they had a picture. It would be awesome if it truly is "silver" though...

Quote:
X2! Just a few months ago I was asking questions every day to now im at zoos and identifying every type of waterfowl lol. Everyone who posts here is so kind to the new breeders.

yep that'd be cool to see. I can pretty much assure you, with the "silver " this and that craze going on, mandarins are on top of the list, once someone finally gets one, it wont take long for them to explode. Be prepared here in the states though for the new mutation price. Bet it'll be $700 plus for several years just like the wood ducks were

Well, I finally have some pics
smile.png
. There are some of my pen, which all we need to do is finish putting netting on, and a few of my ringed teal and mandies. Enjoy! Also, give me some feedback on my pen
smile.png
Its 25X26 and 10ft high

45998_155.jpg
[/img]
45998_154.jpg
[/img]

Now time for the ducks

45998_054.jpg
[/img]
45998_040.jpg
[/img]
45998_039.jpg
[/img]

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif
all looks good, question: looking at the slight purplish pink color of your mandarin drake, Have you noticed it being significantly pink of course during breeding season and starting to get darker with the purplish color here lately?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
all looks good, question: looking at the slight purplish pink color of your mandarin drake, Have you noticed it being significantly pink of course during breeding season and starting to get darker with the purplish color here lately?

Are you talkin about on the bill? or where?

Back
Top Bottom