The Moonshiner's Leghorns

To clarify (since I seem to be misunderstanding a lot of things here,) you disagree with Dan's opinion? He told me that breeding enough to find the one male that didn't exhibit the fault was how he went about successfully creating fray-free Isabella Phoenix. I am using his work with those birds as my template.
I desagree in the believe that Fray has anything to do with the bad feather quality on Lavender, but I agree that only breeding from good quality feather lavender birds is the best way to go about it

I guess I was confused. I thought you crossed back to browns/blacks to achieve the disappearance of the problem and didn't concern yourself with whether or not you could breed multiple generations of lavender to themselves.

If you are working to eliminate fray as well and have pure lavender lines then we do indeed have the same goal, and since you've already licked the problem can I buy birds from you rather than starting over?

I apologize if I misunderstood, I truly wasn't trying to twist your words.
I have zero interest in hiding or making any genes appear to have disappeared. I breed for long term and if its there sight unseen or seen its gonna come back.
Yes I do plan on breeding lavender to lavender. I don't plan on going back to anything else. If the color/pattern goes to h£'ll I'll evaluate things then.
I raised porcelain D'Uccles in my youth for many generations and bred them pure and never saw an issue with doing it that way.
I bred to browns to increase my numbers but also went about it to eliminate the fray. Ive bred to other stuff to bring the lavender color into different patterns. Ive bred lavender patterns together and will continue to. That is my goal but ive had to get the gene in then breed for pure true breeding birds and then increase numbers to sustain that pattern.
That all takes time. I'm just saying in the last few years its not popping up anywhere even in the lavender to lavender birds. At what point can you say it is guaranteed 100% gone.
I believe it is but have been hesitant to say that as fact which may be the cause of your confusion.
I do not sell birds or eggs at this time. If I do in the future I will gladly sell you birds. May have to charge you a pita fee on top of my normal price though.

Let's just treat this traits: Good feather vs bad quality feather as allelic mutations, there are plenty of allelic mutations on Chickens to think that it's imposible that Lavender can't have one. Seems to be of a recessive nature. lav^b(bad quality)/lav^g(good quality)
So if its like that and recessive. No two birds that show it can be bred and eliminate it? Or no bird that shows it can be bred to produce splits that could then produce birds without it?

I don’t like lavender at all. That’s why I totally avoided it in d’Anvers. I’ve never seen a lavender bird with feather quality equal to any other color except lavender blues. I have a lavender blue hen from Aubrey Webb and she has the softest feathers a chicken can have. Her pure lavender offspring had poor feather quality, but her black offspring did not, neither did her blue son or her lavender blue daughter. What does this mean?

I don’t like lavender at all. That’s why I totally avoided it in d’Anvers. I’ve never seen a lavender bird with feather quality equal to any other color except lavender blues. I have a lavender blue hen from Aubrey Webb and she has the softest feathers a chicken can have. Her pure lavender offspring had poor feather quality, but her black offspring did not, neither did her blue son or her lavender blue daughter. What does this mean?

Isn't that weird? I swear my Recessive White Orpingtons are the softest chickens I've ever felt. The Black, Blues, Chocolates, and Mauves are all close, but the Silver-laced aren't nearly as soft. Perhaps color does something to the structure of the feather?

Isn't that weird? I swear my Recessive White Orpingtons are the softest chickens I've ever felt. The Black, Blues, Chocolates, and Mauves are all close, but the Silver-laced aren't nearly as soft. Perhaps color does something to the structure of the feather?
Maybe? Maybe they don’t have enough pigment.

So if its like that and recessive. No two birds that show it can be bred and eliminate it? Or no bird that shows it can be bred to produce splits that could then produce birds without it?
Let's put it this way: two good quality feather lavender when mated together can only produce good quality feather lavender, but females seems to be tricky to identify as good vs bad

Let's put it this way: two good quality feather lavender when mated together can only produce good quality feather lavender, but females seems to be tricky to identify as good vs bad
That has nothing to do with what I was asking.
If someone has a group and every bird is clearly showing bad quality feathers your opinion/theory is that that group will never produce good feather quality birds whether bred together or bred to anything without the lavender gene?

Back
Top Bottom