The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Thank you, and you should!!
    It sure won't!
    Boys! [​IMG]

2. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    My broody is sitting on her eggs, doing quite a good job but now.... my other CM thinks she wants to be broody too and my NH who just started laying 10 days ago is acting the same way. She was in the broody's box trying to steal eggs. I blocked off the broody but she was flipping out trying to get into the box. I think it may be that she just wants to lay in there as that is the favorite box and she's always laid her eggs there. I unblocked it to see if she'll go in and lay and then I'll get her back out of there. I really don't want the other CM to go broody, but she's sitting (on nothing), hasn't laid yet today and when the NH came over to *her* box she was all fluffed up and pecking. But she didn't do that with me so maybe she's just taking a long time to lay today.

If the other two do decide to go broody what are some suggestions on breaking them of it? I'm happy with *one* broody hen for now.

I have heard about soaking their bottom half in cold water? Or setting them in a crate with the air flowing through to "cool" them off?

As always, I so appreciate the advice here.

3. aoxa

Both of those are known ways to break them.

I have a friend who successfully broke two with ice baths. She had no rooster and they were losing condition after over a month sitting with multiple attempts at breaking them.

I always try blocking nests and access first. If that doesn't work I give in and give her eggs ;) lol no but try the wire kennel off the ground first. She won't want to brood in there, and after 3 days she should be broken.

4. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Awesome! thank you! If I had more than 6 layers (well 5 now due to the broody) I'd let them go nuts. But I don't (not to mention we're not actually zoned for a zillion chickens!)

5. aoxa

When one goes broody, others usually go broody too. Especially this time of year. Broody season!

6. rowerjen

rowerjen Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2012
    Western New Hampshire
    Yikes. Better get on breaking mine before the other girls start getting ideas.

7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    This link is helpful if it IS splayed leg. http://poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html except I like the idea of using the vet wrap better!

Is the chick walking on it's FEET or on it's HOCKS? (Just trying to determine if it's spraddle leg or not.) It doesn't sound like splay to me from your description but not sure by what you're saying.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop

Neither just hens with messy bums. I think they have to much fluff back there lol. I trimmed up the messy feather and In a week or so will see if the problem resolved itself. There poops are normal they just haven't learned to wipe well :D

Oh and Lily was the first to touch the netting......she cried for half an hour afterwards.....she really is a baby. And bear apparently forget about Lilly's episode so of course he went up & touched the netting :/ Hopefully that's the last of it.

When we got back from picking up pallets I noticed the fence making a clicking noise. We turned it off and walked the fence line making sure it was taunt and not touching ground. It stopped and we did some more errands and I just noticed its making the clicking noise again. Anyone have any idea why?

9. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Yep! It clicks like that when the pulse is sent. Just means that it's working. Sometimes that clicking can signal your animals to remember not to put their nose on there again!

The electric pulses - it's not a steady "on". It goes in an "on" "off" pattern.

10. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    Hahaha bear stayed away at first but me entering the area has always made both dogs excited. I guess cuz they know the hens are getting leftovers they want lol

Good to know w clicking is normal. We thought it was because that the bottom wire was touching the ground but it looks like its made to do that.

LM do u ever get standing water where ur fence goes so that the fence maybe in water? My yard floods so often but after the last torrential rains we moved the fence so its not where it flooded but some areas are still low and occasionally get puddles in spots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by