The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

This link is helpful if it IS splayed leg.  http://poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html  except I like the idea of using the vet wrap better!

Is the chick walking on it's FEET or on it's HOCKS?  (Just trying to determine if it's spraddle leg or not.)  It doesn't sound like splay to me from your description but not sure by what you're saying.

I honestly have never dealt with either so I'm guessing by other peoples pictures and descriptions.

She/he was walking with a limp with the bad leg slipping out to the side and the center of the foot arched up a bit but was walking on the foot. When she stopped she would rest back on the hock. Wish I could figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone.

The next day the leg was still a bit to the side but definitely better, limping less and moving faster. The foot is less arched too.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
In a hurry today and no time to document but... wanted to throw in that removing all vegetable oils from the diet and eating ANIMAL FATS from pasture raised animals most usually clears skin disorders. There is plenty of documentation for that...maybe I'll have time later to put some links!

(This includes CREAM from RAW milk from cows RAISED ON PASTURE with NO GRAIN in their diet.)

ETA: To clarify, not including olive oil and coconut oil in "vegetable oil" category.

WORD!!!

Quote:
The reason I was asking is that sometimes the problem is a thiamine deficiency. Some breeds and individuals seem to be more prone to it than others. If that is the problem, chopping up a little liver into tiny pieces and feeding it to the flock usually takes care of that very quickly.

Some folks use a less natural route to take care of it quickly by putting a little poly-vi-sol (no iron) in the waterer.

Here's a description of what you might observe is thiamine is the problem:

Quote: "Polyneuritis in birds represents the later stages of a thiamine deficiency, probably caused by buildup of the intermediates of carbohydrate metabolism. In the initial stages of deficiency, lethargy and head tremors may be noted. A marked decrease in appetite is also seen in birds fed a thiamine-deficient diet. Poultry are also susceptible to neuromuscular problems, resulting in impaired digestion, general weakness, star-gazing, and frequent convulsions.

"Polyneuritis may be seen in mature birds ~3 wk after they are fed a thiamine-deficient diet. As the deficiency progresses to the legs, wings, and neck, birds may sit on flexed legs and draw back their heads in a star-gazing position. Retraction of the head is due to paralysis of the anterior neck muscles. Soon after this stage, chickens lose the ability to stand or sit upright and topple to the floor, where they may lie with heads still retracted. Thiamine deficiency may also lead to a decrease in body temperature and respiratory rate. Testicular degeneration may be noted, and the heart may show slight atrophy. Birds consuming a thiamine-deficient diet soon show severe anorexia. They lose all interest in feed and will not resume eating unless given thiamine. If a severe deficiency has developed, thiamine must be force-fed or injected to induce eating."
You'll also see the toes curl with a riboflavin deficiency. Again, feeding liver will help alleviate this!

Medicated feed contains a thiamine blocker (which is why I asked if they had the medicated feed), but it doesn't always take the med. feed to cause that problem.
Just in case that's the problem..

Might want to take a look at:

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2012/12/natural-from-start-medicated-chick-feed.html

Last edited:
I am not an OT, but when I have been in the same situation, I have poured sauces and stews into a strainer rinsed with water and given the meat and any veggies that strain out to my dog or cats. I hate to waste anything, especially meat and I worry about loads of tomato sauce and digestion, that's why I strain it. Too much tomato sauce upsets my stomach, so I thought it might upset my animals stomachs. I just recently got chickens, so I have not done this with spaghetti sauce for them yet, but I would, as long as it has not gone bad.

I have a question for everyone, I am basically just a lurker on here and I have learned a lot. I am finally caught up!!!! Yay!!!! I have to check twice a day to stay caught up though!!!

I have 10 week old chicks, I have more coming next week. Eventually between both sets I will have 20 to 22 chicks. (Depends on if some of the ones next week are roosters or not, won't keep them.)

My question is, I have a large area where I let my chicks free range most everyday and almost all day each day, they have access to my raised bed garden area plus some more room around. Each bed is fenced in, I have 12 raised beds and a large compost area. They can get in the compost area. My husband is worried that they will not be able to keep up with the grass and weed growth in the areas surrounding and running in between the beds. Will 20 chickens eat that much grass? I imagine the area is maybe 1/6 of an acre, can they eat that much grass and weeds? We do see them eating grass now, but they are young still.
(Plus they are doing a great job eating all the bugs around the beds.) I know this is an odd question. I can post pics of my setup if you'd like?

Thank you everyone too for all the great info, I have learned so much!!!
I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but are you asking if the chickens will be able to keep the grass short? In my experience, no. Depending on the size of the large fenced area they will either totally kill the grass or have no affect on it. I know that sounds weird, but chickens are hard on grass- they can scratch it up something fierce. But if the area is large enough for them to not ruin it by scratching, they don't eat enough grass to keep it short. KWIM?

The reason I was asking is that sometimes the problem is a thiamine deficiency. Some breeds and individuals seem to be more prone to it than others. If that is the problem, chopping up a little liver into tiny pieces and feeding it to the flock usually takes care of that very quickly.

Some folks use a less natural route to take care of it quickly by putting a little poly-vi-sol (no iron) in the waterer.

You'll also see the toes curl up.

Medicated feed contains a thiamine blocker (which is why I asked if they had the medicated feed), but it doesn't always take the med. feed to cause that problem.

Might want to take a look at: http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2012/12/natural-from-start-medicated-chick-feed.htmlQuote:
Word. I've had that happen before. Brewer's yeast in the feed or water can help, and I would stop using the medicated feed. FF also helps, as it ups the B vitamins (not sure if thiamin is one of them, but it sure doesn't hurt).

Neither just hens with messy bums. I think they have to much fluff back there lol. I trimmed up the messy feather and In a week or so will see if the problem resolved itself. There poops are normal they just haven't learned to wipe well
big_smile.png

Oh and Lily was the first to touch the netting......she cried for half an hour afterwards.....she really is a baby. And bear apparently forget about Lilly's episode so of course he went up & touched the netting
hmm.png
Hopefully that's the last of it.

When we got back from picking up pallets I noticed the fence making a clicking noise. We turned it off and walked the fence line making sure it was taunt and not touching ground. It stopped and we did some more errands and I just noticed its making the clicking noise again. Anyone have any idea why?
Maybe it misses you?

sorry
hide.gif
I don't know what came over me.

The reason I was asking is that sometimes the problem is a thiamine deficiency.  Some breeds  and individuals seem to be more prone to it than others.  If that is the problem, chopping up a little liver into tiny pieces and feeding it to the flock usually takes care of that very quickly. 

You'll also see the toes curl up.

Might want to take a look at:  http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2012/12/natural-from-start-medicated-chick-feed.htmlQuote:

I do have them on medicated starter at the moment (I know! Please don't turn on me!!)

I highly doubt that is the cause however as she was like this when I picked her up and was on a very pricey organic starter and had vitamins in the water. The breeder is well known around here and has amazing birds.

She also is not exhibiting any of the other symptoms.

I can grab some liver on the way home anyways. It never goes to waste between the dogs, cats and chickens :)

Unfortunately the link you provided did not work for me.

Back
Top Bottom