The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island

I honestly have never dealt with either so I'm guessing by other peoples pictures and descriptions.

She/he was walking with a limp with the bad leg slipping out to the side and the center of the foot arched up a bit but was walking on the foot. When she stopped she would rest back on the hock. Wish I could figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone.

The next day the leg was still a bit to the side but definitely better, limping less and moving faster. The foot it less arched too.

Thank you for your help!

2. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    No standing water. You don't want to have it in the water as it would short it out.

3. armorfirelady

armorfirelady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Hamburg, NY
    My Coop
    With my IPhone I upload the pics to photo bucket then use the links that they provide to post pics on here. My IPad sees them from photo feed on ICloud so I can just upload them on here from my IPad :)

4. Shan30

Shan30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2012
    Vancouver island

I honestly have never dealt with either so I'm guessing by other peoples pictures and descriptions.

She/he was walking with a limp with the bad leg slipping out to the side and the center of the foot arched up a bit but was walking on the foot. When she stopped she would rest back on the hock. Wish I could figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone.

The next day the leg was still a bit to the side but definitely better, limping less and moving faster. The foot is less arched too.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    WORD!!!

6. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

7. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but are you asking if the chickens will be able to keep the grass short? In my experience, no. Depending on the size of the large fenced area they will either totally kill the grass or have no affect on it. I know that sounds weird, but chickens are hard on grass- they can scratch it up something fierce. But if the area is large enough for them to not ruin it by scratching, they don't eat enough grass to keep it short. KWIM?

8. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Word. I've had that happen before. Brewer's yeast in the feed or water can help, and I would stop using the medicated feed. FF also helps, as it ups the B vitamins (not sure if thiamin is one of them, but it sure doesn't hurt).

9. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Maybe it misses you?

sorry [​IMG] I don't know what came over me.

10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by