The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    OMG I AM CAUGHT UP!!! OMG!!!!

I thought it would NEVER happen again.... I went to a chicken show a week ago and it was my sister's Bday so there was no time to read... well 2 days behind plus work means 10 days to catch up!! There were so many things I wanted to comment on but I HATE losing my place on the thread as I jump between different devices to read and well its hard enough doing that as the page count differs on mobile & desktop computers ... The cutest thing I saw at the chicken show was a black dwarf bunny mothering about 10 day old chicks ... I only had my phone with me so the picture is terrible and I won't bother posting... but I had to keep walking back to look at the Bunny Mumma! The Silkie section was a bit smaller then last year BUT this year there was a group of Silkie owners camped out in lawn chairs by their birds! They kept getting up to pick off pieces of sawdust etc etc... It was really funny. Oooh and there were some absolutely STUNNING Cochin & Orpington Roos!! Wow they were big boys but oh so pretty!

Countrygirl74 I have a chicken hating neighbor as well and I don't even have a rooster. When I told her I was getting chickens she said oh I love chickens and you have plenty of space ..... I told her I not to worry I wasn't getting a roo and she said oh but I love the sound of their voice, people think I am crazy but I love it..... Well when my Silkie turned out to be a boy guess what she didn't love it so much ... Now she has decided she hates chickens all together and I have caught her spraying water at my coop to try and shhh the girls when they are singing the egg song! I have offered eggs but she declined so I can't remember who said it but We know what kind of person she is :D She is constantly peering over the fence and always questions and workers of guests I have in my yard!!! I live in the city but am allowed to have chickens .... She has called animal control on me a few times but they came out to make sure my coop was the proper distance away and said they won't be bothering me again! The guy was hilarious ... when he got to my coop he stopped and said oooh what kind of chickens do you have ??? We have some at the shelter I can bring you some more ... I don't think that was the outcome my neighbor was looking for [​IMG] I get so irritated just thinking about this I totally forgot everything else I wanted to comment on....

I did have a huge hawk land on one of my trees when the girls were out free-ranging .... My hen went screaming across the yard, I went to investigate and then the hawk landed on a tree a few feet from me... It saw me and took off. Now I am extra alert when the girls are out! I have lots of tree coverage but I guess when somebody is hungry no number of trees will keep them out! I remember someone thinking if you handle your birds they will be less aware of predators ... Ummm NOPE ..... Mine go running if strangers walk into the yard ...

I have been watching my hens poo looking for worms and I was going to type back that I was pleased to say their poops have firmed up and I have not seen anymore .... that is until today. First I saw my BCM shoot a liquid squirt poop out .... I went to look and didn't see much but no idea why it is SO LIQUID! They my Splash Maran who is on the thin side pooped and I saw moving little worms I believe .... UGH [​IMG] I have been giving them the shaklee's Basic H in their water for weeks now and have been religiously giving them Cayenne, Garlic, wormwood, pumpkin etc etc in their feed. They have to be cooped up during the day but I have been trying to add new organic material to their run to help with the stale ground... I just finished making my LABs and will spray the run with that to see if it helps ..... What do you all think?? My Lavender Orps who I know had worms have much firmer poops and their combs are pinking up again! They are still thin but I believe they are putting on weight ..... What do you all think???

Ok I know there is more but can't remember now....

Oh LM's that Gray SFH is BEAUTIFUL!!!! [​IMG]

2. kian

kian Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    Georgia, the broody girl:

[​IMG]

I know I should totally leave her alone, and for the most part I do, but I had to get one photo of her all fluffed up.

I feel bad (here I am attributing human emotions to a chicken) because it's gotta be boring, sitting there with nothing to do. I told my husband I wanted to set up a chicken TV for her, 3 weeks is a lonnnnnng time. Maybe get her a chicken raising book to read or something ;)

2 people like this.
  3. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    aaggjg - maybe what you've been doing for the worms is working as she is expelling some. But on the Basic H, I think you should only give it a couple days then back to regular water and maybe only do that about 1X in about 3 weeks if you think there's a problem. Way less often if you don't think you have a problem.

May want to back off on all the worming items and give them a rest and and recover on normal food.

Just a thought, but I'm thinking if those items are meant to expel worms, they most likely make the intestinal tract inhospitable - and possibly a little irritated if given constantly.

4. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    How 'bout setting up a computer and let her join BYC?[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. countrygirl74

countrygirl74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2012
    Northern Arizona
    [​IMG]

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I second that!!!

7. NanaLynn

NanaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2012
    We were just wondering if we would still have to mow in between our raised beds and the surrounding areas or not. My understanding (newbie here) was that any area the chickens are given will become short on vegetation and just become dirt. I guess I assumed they would be also eating the grass as well.

Oh and what is KWIM?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  8. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    HA! There's a thought! [​IMG]

9. kian

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancaster, CA
    KWIM= know what I mean :)

10. Leahs Mom

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    [​IMG]

From facebook Terry Fancher (Who I don't know!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by