The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    I read the post wrong about the measurements on the new coop being built. I apologize. I have been skimming way to much trying to keep up. No excuse. I should not give advise if I cant take the time to read. Your coop if fine for 9 birds.

I fed just at night for a month. I just started not feeding at all when the kale, clovers and spinach came up. The ground is thawing and they are moving branches and the wood pile to look for worms and bugs. I have dang mice in my coop so I know they are getting enough food. If they are hungry they eat them buggers. I hate mice..they bring in mites and all kinds of stuff. I am a bit mad at the chickens and ducks for not controlling them better and me for over feeding for too long.

2. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Thats why you dont till the land you just mulch it. Its pretty amazing. I cant wait to try it and see what results we get

3. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    I'd say that is a great idea, but have you ever seen a chicken type? They never seem to move beyond the hunt & peck stage!

Delisha - great pictures!
    LM - hope you get a broody soon!
    armorfirelady - too funny about the dogs getting multiple zaps. My fence isn't even on and my dog never touches it. Of course this is the dog we once blocked into our camper by putting a broom stick across the doorway. She could have gone over or under it, but instead she stood there like, "I'm locked in! You locked me in! Oh please come and let me out... *sad eyes* "

4. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    I cant wait to see how my garden does with this as we have GREAT earth here. So adding to it should be amazing.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

That's what I'll do then. Feed them once a day until the new barn is built and stop feeding the ones I am free ranging. I will be putting Margaret in the silkies in a covered run and pen - but until then they can handle only being fed once a day.

I have some turkey carcass for them tomorrow morning, as well as some lettuce and cabbage for the bunnies from my MIL's church event. They will be well fed tomorrow lol.

Not feeding them commercial feed doesn't mean I can't give them scraps right?

6. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    It won't take them long to learn where bed is!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  7. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    We looked at a horse trailer tonight. Not the right one yet.

I think we're both leery of the HUGE travel trailer so we haven't moved on that. I just put an ad in one of the local Amish Community magazine/papers to see if I could locate a horse or cargo trailer. I just like the greater portability of those - and the appearance.

8. zinia8

zinia8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Reels Corner, PA.
    Hi everyone looking for tips on how to intergrate the littles (8wks?) in with the big uns (2yrs). They are in the coop together but divided by chicken wire. I let them all free range after I get home from work with out a problem big uns go one way littles go another. Its when they are in the run together that there seems to be a problem. The hen(bitey b**ch) that is on the bottom of the pecking order is down right nasty with them. She will chase unrelentingly.
    [​IMG]
    Some of the littles
    [​IMG]
    Head hen (loudmouth) and an un named underling checking the littles out.

9. Bulldogma

Bulldogma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    SW Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:
    I hope you find just the right one!!

10. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop