The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bulldogma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    It is still a possibility. I just haven't been able to wrap my head around having that huge trailer yet. Who knows, may change my mind! (Of course, the trailer isn't huge if you move whole houses ... [​IMG] [​IMG]I guess it's all relative! [​IMG])

2. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    Oohlala, its amazing how loud and how much commotion the girls can cause at night when they are settling on the roost, isn't it? I'm always interested to see what configurations they sort them selves out into - and the first month or so of integrating new pullets is pure hell with the littles always determined to be on the roost next to a big girl, and the big girls thinking the littles have cooties.

really liked reading this thanks for sharing!

1 person likes this.
  3. lalaland

lalaland Overrun With Chickens

Sep 26, 2008
    Pine County MN
    ohhhh my gosh! I love this idea for a coop! What a great use - you could get a cool old classic car shell, the one in the link below is a little junk yardy even for me! but!
    I'm keeping my eyes out at auctions this year - sometimes there are some great old cars that go for scap metal - all the paint rusted off, just a rust shell.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/771359/behold-a-chicken-coupe

4. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    All this Basic H talk is making me laugh... My grandma's sister used to sell Shaklee products. You know on My Big Fat Greek Weddding, how they use windex for everything? That's how my Grandma uses Basic H. She was just telling me how awesome it is as a pesticide in the garden. Perhaps I'll need to get some!

5. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    KWIM = know what I mean? Like I said, it depends on the size of the overall space. It's not outside of the realm of possibility that they could keep it all down to dirt. But it may take a while- my run is 30x30 and with 25ish chickens it was grassy the entire first summer... although now that I think about it the grass never got tall. But after the fall, when the grass went dormant and the chickens scratched it up all fall and winter it was completely gone. I tried to keep them out of the run for a while and replant, but it wasn't really worth the effort. Now I just mulch it with leaves.

6. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Word- the wood chips only tie up nitrogen if you till them in. Same with dead leaves that haven't broken down yet. If you till them in you will have nitrogen deficient soil for a few years. BUT not if you use it as mulch. It makes amazing mulch- have you ever stuck your hand down in the soil in a forest? Loose, damp, and full of organic matter for a LONG way down. That's from wood breaking down on the surface of the soil. A few years of wood mulch and your garden soil will be like that!

7. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    Chickens I have

8 dual purpose layers (Rock/Cornish)+(1 pullet my last one)
    3 BBS English Orpingtons
    2 Gold Laced Black English Orpingtons (2 more coming)
    5 BBS Ameracuana
    25 BLRW chicks
    3 White Silkies 1 Partridge Silkie 1 Blue Silkie
    50 BBS Orpington chicks
    1 splash Cochin
    3 Marans

4 Muscovy ducks

I am taking pictures later today of the Ameracauna's

8. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    I'm sure someone else already responded but I had one. I cut a bandaid length ways and wrapped in around and fastened it onto itself leaving the part with the cloth in the middle. I didn't do it terribly close for a day (By day 2 I had the legs about an inch - inch and a half apart) then I removed them every night and rubbed the little legs and replaced it. After 3 nights I changed to a vet wrap and it was so much easier. By 5 days I noticed the wrap was off and he was walking find. It was amazing how well he walked with the bandaid/vet wrap on. (At 3 nights it was still splayed) (He's been fine ever since) sue

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  9. brandislee

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    I have:

5 Buckeyes (one is "the" rooster)
    4 Salmon Faverolles
    9 Gold Stars (...never again, but they do lay well)
    7 EE's (getting an EE rooster soon from a friend who had a spare she doesn't want to feed anymore)
    1 white silkie

I also have 25 broiler chicks and 8 broad breasted bronze turkeys in the brooder. Speaking of wish lists, if anyone knows anyone who keeps Faverolles in MN or western WI, I'm in the market for a rooster.

I am done with layer hybrids after this year- the Gold Stars will get processed this fall. I think in a free range production setting they would be great- I've never worked out their feed efficiency because they've always been in my mixed flock, but I do know they would rather be out free ranging than hanging around the feeder, BUT they have no sense- when my other chickens are staying close to covered areas or hiding when a hawk flies over, they are completely oblivious. Plus they just have no personality. After that I'm going to just stick with the Favs, the Buckeyes (maybe... I don't like solid colored chickens though, they don't blend well with my mostly wooded area), and the EE's. And I might add some Speckled Sussex, but probably won't think about that until next Spring.

The only breeds that I can think of that MAY have problems would only be if you kept roosters of the breed- breeds like Jungle Fowl, where the roosters are more aggressive. There are other considerations that can help you make decisions on breeds, though, but none are really forbidden from being kept together. Like Faverolles are known for being super mellow and easy going, so keeping them with a breed of hen that is a lot more aggressive can cause problems. BUT most hens who grow up together, regardless of breed, learn to coexist pretty darn well.

10. Leahs Mom

Leahs Mom Chicken Obsessed

Feb 9, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Brand - where did you get your Buckeyes? I was originally going to get some but I'm possibly going a different directions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by