The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome!

I think for the first few days, I will use potty pads (got them on sale). Then I think I will move to put is some soil/sod, and a good layer of Fiber Gold horse feed, without molasses. It's like finely cut up hay. Smells good...not a lot of pieces for the chicks to impact their crops with. That's one of my concerns...everything in their mouths. I know that's their job, so that's what I'm concerned about. I will see how that goes. I'm sure I can always add the pine shavings, if I need to. All I know, is I'm going to watch them like a hawk!

some chick pics
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

Anyone else angry at the time change? No more morning visits with the chicks, as they are still sleeping before I head off to work. I do get extra time AFTER work though...

This entire week is above freezing. Go away snow! Tomorrow +10 (50F) with 10-15 mm of rain (a little under an inch). That should help get rid of the white stuff.

I don't remember if I shared these pictures with you guys or not.. I did on another thread..

Isn't my nephew beautiful? He's going to be a heart breaker. He said to me upon arrival: "Farmers are the best ever because they take care of God's creations."
Now I'm not really a religious person - but that was cute and heart warming. Little boy is a sweetie.

I can not believe he will be 5 in a month.

Here is little blue silkie at 11 weeks. Looking more girly every day.

1 Tablespoon per gallon - hope that helps! Oh, and make sure you are using the unpasteurized "with the mother".
I just glob it in there. Don't measure. I know it's usually more than a tablespoon. I can tell if I've put too much by the smell of the water.

Doesn't seem to matter how much though - they always seem to drink it. Thankfully you can't OD with it!

pcappy2 - I think you asked me to let you know when I started ff with my chicks...

They have been on it now for almost 2 weeks and are staying pretty clean. What I did was use a little glass bowl that I had a plastic "tupperware" lid for. I actually cut a portion out of the lid for them to eat from. This cut down on them being able to walk around in the ff, thus getting covered in it. I also mix a little bit of the dry crumbles with the ff, so that it's not a big runny mess but more of an oatmeal or even a little drier than oatmeal. Hope this helps!

The bowl I'm talking about is in the upper center of photo...
I did end up adding another bowl (right bottom) that I didn't have a lid for, but adding the dry to the ff still keeps them pretty clean.

Back
Top Bottom