The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunflour, Nov 7, 2015.

1. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Blooie, you always know the best way of saying stuff. But I am good at saying...x2!

1 person likes this.
  2. LittleLakePhil

LittleLakePhil Flock Master

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Thank you all....

3. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I got my wife a new kitchenaid and an electric pressure cooker/canner for Christmas so maybe my baking skills will improve....

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You can always hope Phil. Nothing has improved/given me cooking skills. I am a big fan of Hamburger helper, instant mashed potatoes and canned peas or corn. Add some candles and mood music and you are good to go. Beautiful grand child and family. Babies just radiant hope for the future - don't they?

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oooh, way better than instant mashed potatoes...get yourself some Steam 'n Mash from the freezer section of your grocer. Pop them in the microwave right in the bag for 10 minutes, then mash with butter, milk and seasonings. Best mashed taters ever! Been sneaking them to my family for years because we loved mashed taters but I hate the boiling and the draining and all that mess. They still don't know the difference! I can honestly say that that is the only prepared product that tastes absolutely NO different than the real thing - but that's kinda untrue too because they ARE the real thing! Just frozen taters in a bag!

6. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I actually ate hamburger helper for the first time tonight.....I love cooking but I'm not going to go all out for just myself and my wife every day. So we're trying to find quick easy stuff that isn't grilled cheese and tomato soup...love them too but not everyday :lau. P.s.I'm a big fan of a bowl of cereal too but never for breakfast is a night time snack.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    We eat a lot of cereal at night, too. Because I have some ongoing health junk, we usually eat a light breakfast, then we have our main "dinner" around 2pm, and try not to eat later than 3. It was a pain to get used to, but now I love it! I can start something in the crock pot when I get up about 5:30 or 6, have it cooking all day while I tend to Kendra, then after she goes home we eat. A roast or something like that I can pop into the oven while Kendra is playing, or prep stuff for quicker, lighter meals then. Before long dishes are done, kitchen cleaned up, and I have the entire evening free! Nice to have all that done when other folks are just getting out the makings of a meal and prepping and stuff, then cleaning up instead of spending a relaxing evening doing nothing. My tummy likes it much better, too. No heavy meal just a couple of hours before bedtime....just a bowl of cereal if we have a little hole that needs filling up before bedtime. I've not had nearly the issues with reflux, I sleep better, and Ken is happy and more comfortable too! The bonus? Since we started this, we both not only sleep better, but we are losing weight too! The carbs and fats we've taken in during the meal are used up in afternoon chores and such instead of going to bed with all that food still sloshing it's way through the old digestive system.

Can't really follow this all the time, of course. When we travel we are at the mercy of the timing of the banquets or whatever, and we sure notice a difference then!

8. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    Oh Blooie....now I feel bad about myself. We don't eat dinner till 8 or 9pm.....
    I don't ever eat breakfast. Generally it's just coffee.....maybe a bite of lunch at 1 or so. Then I'm sitting here at midnight or so eating lucky charms...I'm so horrible....but it's always been this way and my wife has always worked afternoons...

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    The problem I have is making a small enough portion for one person. With the instant potatoes I only use 1/4 cup of flakes, so no leftovers or stuff to throw out. I also use a lot of Ore Ida potatoes and make as few as I want in the toaster oven.

Or I have a 48 oz. carton of light ice cream - and that is enough food for the entire day. Plus only get a spoon dirty.

10. LittleLakePhil

Sep 25, 2015
    Little lake Michigan
    I've lost weight however since I retired....I'm not eating all those doughnuts and cookies my customers would bring on every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by