The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Hard post this morning. I've lost all but 1. He's running around like a healthy bird at the moment but I know it is only a matter of time.
hit.gif
I spent most of last night trying to figure out what was going on. The one thing that met all the symptoms was avian encephalitis.
somad.gif
I'm pretty sure one of the later chicks was carrying it . He hatched and immediately started showing signs then the rest fell like dominos. I'm sending a message to the supplier. After eggtopsies he probably should know by now. Not a great fertility rate. I'm thinking a bleach solution, thorough rinse and complete drying of everything? Any recommendations on disinfecting everything?

Last edited:
Holy cow!

I sent a very well worded message to the man I bought them from. I just asked if he had any issues with his birds as I has lost mine. Just wanted to let him know.

He replied, "never all my birds are very health I never had any problems are you a vet what makes you think a new born chick has disease" (verbatim-misspellings, lack of punctuation and all)

Seems awfully defensive considering I never accused him of mismanagement.

Hard post this morning. I've lost all but 1. He's running around like a healthy bird at the moment but I know it is only a matter of time.
hit.gif
I spent most of last night trying to figure out what was going on. The one thing that met all the symptoms was avian encephalitis.
somad.gif
I'm pretty sure one of the later chicks was carrying it . He hatched and immediately started showing signs then the rest fell like dominos. I'm sending a message to the supplier. After eggtopsies he probably should know by now. Not a great fertility rate. I'm thinking a bleach solution, thorough rinse and complete drying of everything? Any recommendations on disinfecting everything?
I'm so sorry! Not sure about disinfecting but whatever you do finish up with putting it out in the sun. Find someone else to get eggs off. You could ask on the quail forum if someone is near you that you could buy eggs from. You have to try again.

I'm so sorry! Not sure about disinfecting but whatever you do finish up with putting it out in the sun. Find someone else to get eggs off. You could ask on the quail forum if someone is near you that you could buy eggs from. You have to try again.

I have eggs coming from a new source. I'm heartbroken but not discouraged. I'd love to have a local source but there just aren't people around raising Coturnex. Only 1M people in the whole state and chickens & turkeys
D.gif
seem to be mainstay.

Really sorry to hear about your losses, Dawn. I use Oxine, the Brinesea incubator cleaner (can't remember what's in it, or a 10% bleach solution and then dry in the sun. Make sure the surfaces stay really wet with the bleach solution for at least 10 minutes. You may have to keep spritzing to keep it wet.

:hugs and good luck with the next batch!

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Bunnylady Love the ‘Sugar Overload’! Congrats on the bubby Seramas.

Blooie great news about Ken’s progress! Way to go Kendra!
clap.gif
[and Nanna
wink.png
]

J I am pleased that things are OK in the wake of TC Cook and that Piper and Minnow are doing well. I hope they enjoy their road trip lol
wink.png
Those sweet Javas, are they the ones I was calling jelly beans not so long ago?

Aaaw Dawn I am so sorry to hear your sad news
sad.png
hugs.gif
and yes, that was very defensive??

The roof is on the coop!! This means the floor can now go in as it will now not be getting wet. Hopefully some more progress pics at the end of today but these are from yesterday.

This one is taken from inside the coop looking up .. you can see how much the power of the sun has been reduced:

This one is obviously inside the coop and with one wall still not on, looks like we are going to manage to get the darker, cooler coop we were hoping for on those hot sunny days:

And, I just wanted to share some pictures of Crystal the Waif aka the 'feather explosion'. I walked up to the shops last evening and passed many of Crystals feathers on the way up our street
roll.png

Before Moult:

During Moult:

hit.gif
somad.gif

I am so sorry for the losses and feel your disappointment
hugs.gif
. Hopefully your future trials will be successful.

Good morning folks
frow.gif

Bunnylady Love the ‘Sugar Overload’! Congrats on the bubby Seramas.

Blooie great news about Ken’s progress! Way to go Kendra!
clap.gif
[and Nanna
wink.png
]

J I am pleased that things are OK in the wake of TC Cook and that Piper and Minnow are doing well. I hope they enjoy their road trip lol
wink.png
Those sweet Javas, are they the ones I was calling jelly beans not so long ago?

Aaaw Dawn I am so sorry to hear your sad news
sad.png
hugs.gif
and yes, that was very defensive??

The roof is on the coop!! This means the floor can now go in as it will now not be getting wet. Hopefully some more progress pics at the end of today but these are from yesterday.

This one is taken from inside the coop looking up .. you can see how much the power of the sun has been reduced:

This one is obviously inside the coop and with one wall still not on, looks like we are going to manage to get the darker, cooler coop we were hoping for on those hot sunny days:

And, I just wanted to share some pictures of Crystal the Waif aka the 'feather explosion'. I walked up to the shops last evening and passed many of Crystals feathers on the way up our street
roll.png

Before Moult:

During Moult:
I love the blue roof.
Poor baby. Road Runner had a hard molt this year and was almost naked and is finally a fluffy butt again .
Sometimes I'm a little jealous of their molts -wish we humans could molt and get better hair and maybe younger skin every year
wink.png

@Blooie - way to go Kendra
bun.gif
. Her milestones are amazing to see. Thanks for sharing.

@N F C - hope Saturday's opening goes smoothly and your upcoming season is easier than last year. I do agree with DD - wish there were a Debby Cam we could watch.

@JaeG those babies are doing so well under your care.

@Bunnylady glad you posted the entry - I luv it.

Last edited:
Hey sunflour thank you … I too thought the roof was blue but apparently it is dark grey and it was just the way the sun caught it
hu.gif

I really do feel sorry for Crystal right now .. poor baby
sad.png
Doesn’t stop me taking pics though .. bad Mum!
wink.png
Normally you can not see her feet.

Hey sunflour thank you … I too thought the roof was blue but apparently it is dark grey and it was just the way the sun caught it
hu.gif

I really do feel sorry for Crystal right now .. poor baby
sad.png
Doesn’t stop me taking pics though .. bad Mum!
wink.png
Normally you can not see her feet.

Well then, pretend it's blue - that's my favorite color. Dark Grey is nice too.

She is a pitiful baby, must feel awful. But very soon, she'll be fluffy and beautiful again.

This little one popped by for a visit today [Corella]:

And Crystal's day got worse, she had butt feathers when she left the coop this morning .. not so much when she went to bed. The poor thing is feeling very miserable, keeping her distance from the flock and me. Dreading what she is going to look and feel like tomorrow if she loses any more overnight
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom