The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie .........

1 pie shell, 9-inch, partially baked or unbaked
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark corn syrup (No corn syrup that I could find in supermarket so substituted with Golden Syrup)
1 tablespoon Kentucky Bourbon (the good stuff!)
2 cups pecan halves or pieces, divided (toast, if desired)

Prepare homemade pastry or use refrigerated dough. Shape into a flattened disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate to chill thoroughly. You may use a frozen crust as well.

Roll the chilled dough out into a 12-inch circle. Fit the dough into the pie plate and lightly prick all over the bottom with a fork. Refrigerate until you are ready to fill the pie shell. Alternatively, use a frozen deep-dish unbaked crust.

In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar until creamy and light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla, salt, corn syrup, and bourbon.

Heat the oven to 350 F.

Spread 1 cup of the pecans evenly over the bottom of the pie shell.

Pour the filling over the pecans. Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the filling.

Bake the pie for 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven. Watch the crust edge after 30 to 40 minutes or so. Place a pie shield or foil ring over the crust edge if it appears to be browning too much.

*To partially bake the crust, line the pie plate with pastry. Line the pastry with a sheet of foil or parchment paper. Fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and remove the pie weights and foil. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F. Fill the pie and bake as directed.

Toasted Pecans: If you prefer the flavor of toasted pecans, toast them ahead of time in a 325 F oven. Spread them out on a baking sheet. Toast for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice, or until they are aromatic. Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a plate to cool before using.

I am going to pipe an Amish Brown Sugar Icing over the top in a swirl pattern:

½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup milk
2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla

In a deep, large kettle melt the butter over high heat until it just starts to boil.
Add the brown sugar.
Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
Don't boil longer than two minutes and stir constantly while it is boiling.
Add the milk and splash of vanilla and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
As soon as it begins to boil, remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
Gradually add confectioners' sugar.
Stir with a wooden spoon until thick and spreadable.

Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie .........

1 pie shell, 9-inch, partially baked or unbaked
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup dark corn syrup (No corn syrup that I could find in supermarket so substituted with Golden Syrup)
1 tablespoon Kentucky Bourbon (the good stuff!)
2 cups pecan halves or pieces, divided (toast, if desired)

Prepare homemade pastry or use refrigerated dough. Shape into a flattened disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate to chill thoroughly. You may use a frozen crust as well.

Roll the chilled dough out into a 12-inch circle. Fit the dough into the pie plate and lightly prick all over the bottom with a fork. Refrigerate until you are ready to fill the pie shell. Alternatively, use a frozen deep-dish unbaked crust.

In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter with the brown sugar until creamy and light. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla, salt, corn syrup, and bourbon.

Heat the oven to 350 F.

Spread 1 cup of the pecans evenly over the bottom of the pie shell.

Pour the filling over the pecans. Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the filling.

Bake the pie for 45 to 55 minutes in the preheated oven. Watch the crust edge after 30 to 40 minutes or so. Place a pie shield or foil ring over the crust edge if it appears to be browning too much.

*To partially bake the crust, line the pie plate with pastry. Line the pastry with a sheet of foil or parchment paper. Fill with pie weights or dried beans and bake at 400 F for 10 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven and remove the pie weights and foil. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 F. Fill the pie and bake as directed.

Toasted Pecans: If you prefer the flavor of toasted pecans, toast them ahead of time in a 325 F oven. Spread them out on a baking sheet. Toast for 10 to 15 minutes, turning once or twice, or until they are aromatic. Remove them from the oven and transfer them to a plate to cool before using.

I am going to pipe an Amish Brown Sugar Icing over the top in a swirl pattern:

½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup milk
2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla

In a deep, large kettle melt the butter over high heat until it just starts to boil.
Add the brown sugar.
Bring to a boil and lower heat to medium and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
Don't boil longer than two minutes and stir constantly while it is boiling.
Add the milk and splash of vanilla and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
As soon as it begins to boil, remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
Gradually add confectioners' sugar.
Stir with a wooden spoon until thick and spreadable.
Thanks for the recipe!

Good Afternoon Friends :hugs

Lunch time Friday – January 26th – Australia Day Public Holiday!

Because it is raining and I am stuck inside, I have a Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie baking in the oven as I type and will share pictures if it is worthy ;)

Cap I hope you are feeling better.

Blooie I hope Kendra is feeling better soon also.
Nope, getting filled up with mucus and feel like i have a fever. But my sense of humor is intact. Laughed until i cried, someone said they had a migraine in their butt!:gigOver on Granny's thread. Have not laughed that hard in a while...:gig :love :pop

Stoopid icing pipe broke so I had to go with pour not pipe! LOL

Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie 26012018 A.jpg

Kentucky Bourbon Pecan Pie 26012018.jpg

This little fella has been sitting on my office window ledge all day .. so cute!

My Office Window 26 Jan 2018.jpg

Stoopid icing pipe broke so I had to go with pour not pipe! LOL

View attachment 1246677

View attachment 1246678

This little fella has been sitting on my office window ledge all day .. so cute!

View attachment 1246679
We had scads of tree frogs in FL because of my koi pond. I used to have to catch them and take them across town to another pond because they and the toads would make racket all night long and hubby couldn't sleep. Picture me with a lamp on my head at night in the back yard!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
We had scads of tree frogs in FL because of my koi pond. I used to have to catch them and take them across town to another pond because they and the toads would make tacket all night long and hubby couldn't sleep. Picture me with a lamp on my head at night in the back yard!:rolleyes:

We have lots of froggies, being tropical and all. I love them :love

@MrsMistyReal Hopefully the pecan pie IS yummy! :fl I had a small taste of the icing from the spoon .. Wow it is delicious! First time I have tried that icing. My heart coach would probably have a seizure if she knew I was going to have some though ;)

Back
Top Bottom