The NFC B-Day Chat Thread

I just checked my Muscovy eggs. Every single egg has development in it. I sure hope some quit as we go along. Otherwise I'm cleaning up after 9 ducklings! :th

I'll have to write to the lady I got the eggs off and tell her. She'd sent 9 eggs as 2 of the nests she hadn't tried incubating any eggs from yet so she couldn't guarantee they were fertile. I'm sure hoping one of the ginormous eggs has a girl in it. I'd love some massive eggs to bake with.

On the plus side we have been given permission to have our gas fire's flue installed. The government has seen sense and people can now buy heaters and appliances they need as long as those things are delivered and there's no physical contact.

Hope everyone is having a great day.
I’m glad you’ll get some heat.

I'd be rather chuffed if they did all hatch but we have a long way to go yet. I just keep reading about how stinky they are and I know how bad our quail were before we put them out in the aviary. I've been looking at all the tips and tricks online about how to keep the smell down.

The eggs are in our cheap incubator which has so far been brilliant. My only fear is that it will stop working and with lock down here we wouldn't be able to get another one.

The incubator is in the hallway cupboard and it's great because the kids rooms are up that end of the house. So there can't be any stomping or slamming of doors.
Good luck!

This batch was a bit of a hodge podge as we didn't do a really good job of labeling freezer bags. Typically 34 backs/carcasses, 34 necks, and 68 feet. One thing I've discovered out of laziness is that mixing roasted carcasses with raw carcasses gives you a much richer stock. When I do beef stock, I roast the bones and saute the veg. But my pot is not particularly saute friendly and that many carcasses would take way too long to roast. So its a trade off in favor of flavor. This stock is also going to be richer than normal because my IR temp probe went wacky at the wrong time, so I left the fire much hotter than a typical simmer overnight. The last batch I canned could probably be cut 50/50 with water and still be a viable stock.
i usually don't ask for the feet since my processor like them for eating(shes also a good friend)
we used to do it ourselves but my hands won't let me reach up in and pull out anymore without a lot of pain, and sue does it for a 1,25 a chicken so can't complain about that.

Back
Top Bottom