Generally the pullets with have a narrow comb, and the cockerels a wide icky one (sorry I don't like the big walnut combs) . I don't know why the silkie standard wants that type of comb, ruins the looks of such an elegant breed. Looks like a fat toad is sitting on them.

My mom thinks they look like they have some type of tumor growing on them. She hates their combs too

UPDATED new photos just for kicks, about 5 months....maybe a little less....thinking maybe a rooster, now
DSC_1467.JPG
DSC_1478.JPG
? will try and get a good close up...in the meantime, here's a few full body images.

Sometimes when there aren't very obvious signs for silkies, you just have to wait until that first crow or egg! I have a silkie that I (and everyone else) thought was a boy, right up until she laid an egg!
huh...very interesting...haven't heard a crow, yet, but it's still a tad too early to tell for sure.

sorry for the immense delay...i've finally gotten some clear & well-lit photos of the face & comb, at around 5ish months now. i'd like to know the science behind ones who will judge by the width of the comb at this age....however much of a variable it may be. appears pretty wide to me even compared to many pictures i've seen of mature hens, but then again, i'm told the comb size can vary for each individual bird, with just about any breed & so it be if we must wait a few more months for a crow or an egg, then my patience is fully present!
DSC_1504.JPG
DSC_1513.JPG

DSC_1516.JPG
DSC_1519.JPG

This is going to sound crazy but how are fertilization rates with silkie roosters? Do their stature and feathers make it more difficult than other roosters to achieve fertilization? Just curious. lol

Not that I've noticed. I have noticed a difference between boys, though. I think technique is more an issue.

I have fertile standard brahma eggs. The silkie rooster in with the large fowl really loves the big girls. Now he knows what he's doing

Back
Top Bottom