The Old Folks Home

@perchie.girl at first I didn't know what "BIG space" you were refering to until I went back and read my post again. All I will say is that this computer is driving me crazy. At least I can post, for now. No sign of those cute emotion thingies though. If there is a big space in this post, I don't know what to do. Use the phone when I am in town? {sigh}

@kssunflower I have problems on BYC when I'm on our new laptop that I don't experience on any other website. My cheap phone works much better for some reason, except it freezes up occasionally, also only on BYC and no other website.

@perchie.girl at first I didn't know what "BIG space" you were refering to until I went back and read my post again. All I will say is that this computer is driving me crazy. At least I can post, for now. No sign of those cute emotion thingies though. If there is a big space in this post, I don't know what to do. Use the phone when I am in town? {sigh}

LOL... the big space was a bunch of carriage returns with the letter i at the very bottom...

deb

I bought my first pressure canner for my birthday.... a 16 quart Presto... and a Ball Bluebook

Never ever canned before not even to help so this is going to be an experience... its small holds seven quarts. If I like it I will probably get a bigger All American down the road.

Birthday is on the 9 th. I need something to look forward to... the canning that is.

deb

My pc freezes up frequently on this site too. It's not just the phones, or laptops that experience it. I have Fios, so it's not a speed problem. I have an excellent rig, so it's definitely the site. It seem to be some of the ads that cause it.

Deb, being in Florida, which is at sea level so no problem attaining, and maintaining excellent temps, I have always used a water bath canner. Recently I've been reading about two main factors which make pressure canning much safer than water bath canning. The first factor is acidity. Everyone wants the sweetest berries, sweetest apples, sweetest carrots, sweetest corn, etc. Apparently, the trade off with the sweeter varieties usually involves decreased acidity. Slightly higher acidity levels greatly aid in bacteria reduction. Yes, adding a little vinegar, or lemon juice can solve this problem when using a WBC, but is not really needed when using a pressure canner, so optimum sweetness can be retained. The second factor, which is more important involves increased number, and types of bacteria that we have today, which were not a factor years ago. A few of these are resistant to normal boiling point temperatures, and/or can form spores, and remain inactive until conditions are more favorable for them, then resume growing. From what I was reading, the pressure actually makes things heat up a little higher than boiling temperature, which does kill these types of bacteria. I'm having to learn how to pressure can too. You are not alone.

I bought my first pressure canner for my birthday.... a 16 quart Presto... and a Ball Bluebook

Never ever canned before not even to help so this is going to be an experience... its small holds seven quarts. If I like it I will probably get a bigger All American down the road.

Birthday is on the 9 th. I need something to look forward to... the canning that is.

deb
Pressure canners are for non acid foods. You do not need them for most Jelly recipes or for canning fruit. Home canned peaches are great but I really like canned pears.

Are you going to can some chilli, chicken or stew?

I love figs too. I wish I could grow them here.
Yesterday I though it was about time to water. Good thing I didn't waste my time. We had over 4" of rain last night.

Back
Top Bottom