The Old Folks Home

The Amish. I wish I understood them better.
My first job after getting my drivers license was to work for the amish (extended) family that lived down the road from me (I grew up in a hugely amish area). I had a lot of exposure to amish prior to working for them, but working for them really shattered what I thought I knew. I spent every day that summer with them, and by midsummer, they were very comfortable with me. I ended up able to go in their barns and some houses, and they'd call me at all hours to get a ride somewhere.
They're really not that different than us, mentally, just a very challenging lifestyle. That being said, they had generators for power, and nowadays they can use cell phones.

So what do you plant in a kitchen garden....:pop

The kitchen garden to me is merely designating where it is. It's outside the kitchen door. In the front of the house I have 3 square raised beds that have a row of garlic each, then I planted 1 tomato plant in 2 of them, then filled the rest in with cucurbits (I have a major thing for winter squash, pumpkins and gourds). I have two circular raised beds further down the front yard, near the bee hives. Those got cucurbits. Then the kitchen garden got 5 rows of corn, row of cucurbits, row of tomatoes, row of cucurbits, 2 rows of tomatoes, scarlet runner beans with 2 tomatoes in front of the bean pole, and then a row of celery.
I still have some stuff that needs to go in the ground and some things that I need to make a decision about. Peppers still need to go in - they're still in the cold frame, and I have about 5 billion more tomato plants that some look good, some not so good. The good ones I might put into raised bags once the dirt comes this week. The bulb onions also need to go in as soon as I get the dirt (those go into raised planters as well).

I have something I want to share. I went to the dollar store to get some flowers, and a couple flags to put on gravesites of family members today. At the store, my granddaughter had lots of questions, and comments. When we got to the checkout line, I was behind a young black couple. It took a minute to find the plastic divider to separate purchases, but we found it, and put it there, as I reassured the couple not to worry, I would stop it at my stuff, so they wouldn't have to pay for it.

My granddaughter distracted me with more questions, and the cashier told the man of the couple ahead of me his total. I looked, and the cashier had included my stuff in their total. I told her I didn't understand why it had not stopped at the divider, but to please take my items off his bill, I would pay for my stuff. The cashier told me the couple had requested to pay for my items. I looked at them, and they smiled. I asked if they were sure, since I had the money to pay for my items. They smiled, and reassured me that they wanted to pay for my flowers, and flags.

I thanked them, with tears in my eyes, and told them I would pray for them. They smiled, and told me that right now, they could use all the prayers they could get. That couple did a lot more for me than just buy those flowers. They restored some of my hope in humanity. There was no black vs white, or white vs black. Just a kind couple doing something nice for someone. While there seems to be so much division in our country today, it proves that not everyone is buying into it, and some are still doing the right thing, helping others, and making a difference with acts of kindness. I am keeping my promise to pray for them.

I don't care for the taste of a dish when they overwhelm it with cilantro. A little goes a long way. My husband, on the other hand, complains that it tastes like soap, and when we eat Mexican food, he asks they not put any cilantro in his food. One of the times we were out eating Mexican food, and Dh requested no cilantro, the waiter mentioned that a lot of people say it tastes like soap to them. I googled it. Approx. 50% of the population does not like cilantro, because it tastes like soap to them. I was surprised.

1430855469_773637878.jpg
Here's hoping everyone has a great day:love

I don't care for the taste of a dish when they overwhelm it with cilantro. A little goes a long way. My husband, on the other hand, complains that it tastes like soap, and when we eat Mexican food, he asks they not put any cilantro in his food. One of the times we were out eating Mexican food, and Dh requested no cilantro, the waiter mentioned that a lot of people say it tastes like soap to them. I googled it. Approx. 50% of the population does not like cilantro, because it tastes like soap to them. I was surprised.
I live in a place that is about 40% Hispanic so there is cilantro everywhere. Cilantro used to taste like soap to me but does not anymore. I almost like it now...

It is weird but exposure seems to have changed the taste for me

I have something I want to share. I went to the dollar store to get some flowers, and a couple flags to put on gravesites of family members today. At the store, my granddaughter had lots of questions, and comments. When we got to the checkout line, I was behind a young black couple. It took a minute to find the plastic divider to separate purchases, but we found it, and put it there, as I reassured the couple not to worry, I would stop it at my stuff, so they wouldn't have to pay for it.

My granddaughter distracted me with more questions, and the cashier told the man of the couple ahead of me his total. I looked, and the cashier had included my stuff in their total. I told her I didn't understand why it had not stopped at the divider, but to please take my items off his bill, I would pay for my stuff. The cashier told me the couple had requested to pay for my items. I looked at them, and they smiled. I asked if they were sure, since I had the money to pay for my items. They smiled, and reassured me that they wanted to pay for my flowers, and flags.

I thanked them, with tears in my eyes, and told them I would pray for them. They smiled, and told me that right now, they could use all the prayers they could get. That couple did a lot more for me than just buy those flowers. They restored some of my hope in humanity. There was no black vs white, or white vs black. Just a kind couple doing something nice for someone. While there seems to be so much division in our country today, it proves that not everyone is buying into it, and some are still doing the right thing, helping others, and making a difference with acts of kindness. I am keeping my promise to pray for them.
Beautiful Story!

Back
Top Bottom