The Old Folks Home

In all honesty, when you have to split 9+ cords of work, stacking it would be nice but I'd never get anything else done.

We got home from the run to the Vet's office and immediately headed back to the timber. Just called it quits for the day. It's 93 outside and we are both toast. BUT we got the last of the big rounds trundled back to the barn, only leaving 3 rounds behind. There is a dead tree near the one that fell that we are hoping to cut down and harvest and we figured we could pick up those three smaller rounds (maybe weigh 40-50 pounds each) when we drop the dead tree.

Now the fun begins.....splitting. Going to get a picture later.

In all honesty, when you have to split 9+ cords of work, stacking it would be nice but I'd never get anything else done.
Agreed. If it can dry without being stacked, it is wasted time. You can just toss the split pieces into your 3 sided barn. DW used to make cross piece towers at both ends of the rows in the little barn. Total waste of time if you ask me. I could stack an entire run in less time than it took her to find the square pieces and make 2 towers. No real pressure on the wall and the "open" end doesn't need to be vertical. There is enough space for the stacks to taper down to the pallets and not need any support. Last year I had actually thought about just throwing the wood into the barn since it was already dry. Not sure if it would fit though. Maybe if I threw it in an organized manner :) But I don't plan to move what I am cutting this year into the barn once it is (presumably) dry.

My neighbor cuts and splits his wood, then stacks it neatly onto palets. He stores the palets under a lean-to roof on the back of his garage, and moves them around with the forks on his tractor. It is quite the system. Not sure if I'm organized enough for anything more than a regular stack.
How does he keep the wood on the pallets while moving it with the tractor? The ideal is picking up each piece of wood as few times as possible. With the wood Al delivered, I had to pick up and put down each piece of wood 5 times by the time it went in the stove. Quick math says 4 cords x 1 ton/cord * 5 moves = picking up 20 tons of wood each winter. I should look like Charles Atlas! (I don't). Now cutting it myself I get to pick it up and put it down even more times and the first 2 "lifts" are a lot heavier!

It says I got my 5 year trophy today. I guess they don't put them on the avatar space like before. Good thing I checked. My premium membership has run out. Funny, they didn't notify me this time. Usually they do.
1d4c21e6_smilies-3434.png
The Admins are still working on the anniversary badges. It wold be nice if they were back!

Back
Top Bottom