The Old Folks Home

Yep, cats just are NOT as smart as dogs.:gig

I had one cat that was part Siamese that I got at the shelter who was the smartest animal I've ever had.
She learned tricks (sit and beg) and figured out how to open and close doors. When I got another cat she didn't like him and I came home from work and he was locked in the upstairs linen closet.
She also was fascinated by drains. She'd take the stoppers out and stuff her mice down the drain. I would come home to all the drains out arranged on the living room floor... Even the enormous metal heavy ones from the kitchen sink.
I miss her.
She's been dead 3 years and I still haven't found her favorite mouse. She hid it somewhere. Guessing it made it further down a drain but I'm hopeful one day when I need a smile I'll find it shoved somewhere totally bizarre.

Anyone have fun weekend plans? Finally hunting seasons are over here. The destructive drooly thing and I have plans for a multiple mile journey today on the trails and I hope to get the treadle quilt top done.

OK, so to change the subject once again...
My 5 pullets have reached POL and I'm getting 4-5 eggs a day. I don't eat them like I used to and they're already starting to "back up" and fill 18ct cartons. So tonight I went ahead & broke down and made:
View attachment 1616439
Since the eggs are small, I added extras and bumped up the other ingredients a bit as well. Made a decent edge crust and down the sides, but didn't "toast/brown" underneath like (I think) it should have. Guessing because of the changes I need to either increase temp a bit or cook longer or both. Has an "egg" taste, not too sweet, a little "oily" from the butter in the mix as well as coating the pie dish. Tasty.
View attachment 1616440
I like custards! When I have a lot of eggs again I will make this!

As of yesterday the animal was still alive...barely. That is about all I can say without tainting a possible jury pool. I can say that there is a 95% chance of this going to trial.

I can't speak for your part of the world, but in this area, it is highly unusual for an animal cruelty case to result in a jury trial. There is so much bother and expense involved in getting the whole show together, and juries are such crazy things; most parties would rather avoid it if possible. So, the prosecution and defense work overtime to try to get a guilty plea. Even the defense attorney isn't trying to get the client off, more like "get them off as lightly as possible," which typically means avoiding the emotional, unstable 12-headed monster in preference of a single judge who upholds the letter of the law. I'm trying to remember whether any of the cruelty cases that have made a splash in the local news in the last 20 or so years actually went to a jury . . . I think they all wound up with guilty pleas, with sentences that probably seemed like slaps on the wrists, but since being barred from keeping animals in the future was frequently a part of it, at least the goal of preventing future suffering was most likely achieved.

I had one cat that was part Siamese that I got at the shelter who was the smartest animal I've ever had.
She learned tricks (sit and beg) and figured out how to open and close doors. When I got another cat she didn't like him and I came home from work and he was locked in the upstairs linen closet.
She also was fascinated by drains. She'd take the stoppers out and stuff her mice down the drain. I would come home to all the drains out arranged on the living room floor... Even the enormous metal heavy ones from the kitchen sink.
I miss her.
She's been dead 3 years and I still haven't found her favorite mouse. She hid it somewhere. Guessing it made it further down a drain but I'm hopeful one day when I need a smile I'll find it shoved somewhere totally bizarre.

Anyone have fun weekend plans? Finally hunting seasons are over here. The destructive drooly thing and I have plans for a multiple mile journey today on the trails and I hope to get the treadle quilt top done.
:goodpost:

She was a very special cat!

When I got home today she had destroyed some money. Where it came from, she's not telling me because I never have cash.

A dog that finds money is better than a truffle dog!

Yes, property tax in California is odd. When a house sells, the new owner has to pay a lot more if the purchase price is a lot higher.

So true! Gotta love Prop 13 if you're on the right side of it. My folks paid $5600 in property taxes in 2014 in the San Francisco Bay Area (half of that being the town's school assessments.) After their death we sold the house. The new owners are paying $29,000. Ouch!

Got the treadle top done.

lots of extra fabric (full) in the center. Will be difficult to quilt it without pleating it, but I'll do my best. now, off to walk the dog a couple miles.
48257038_1939123352808883_4105312054288580608_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom