The Old Folks Home

Worked 11 hours, then ran home and did all the chores (farm and seedlings and cats), now I'm running to a "private group golf lesson" (it's a long story, I've never golfed before and have almost zero interest) but now I'm just finding out that I can't wear jeans and I have to wear a collared shirt. All I have are jeans and "regular" shirts.

So I threw on one of BF's collared work shirts, left on my work pants which have chore dirt all over them and I look fabulous. (He's not a small boy, so I look completely ridiculous.)

I told the girl who arranged all this that sprung the dress code on me at the last minute that I'd be more than happy to show up in all black, with black lipstick and heavy black eyeliner and a collared black with red accents cape, but she didn't respond. I will meet your dress code and raise you some crazy because that's the kinda girl I am.

Heel low:

Long weekend here...four days and a whirlwind. Would like a penny for each person that drives past on the paved road here...as a toll...perhaps?
lol.png

There is always a huge sting here...sometimes it is right beside our place, sometimes they move it a bit down the highway.

Entertainment for one of the Llamas!

Yes, those are the crazies...all going out to get sopping wet & freezing cold as the weather report says!​

Still don't stop Stupids...May long weekend is traditionally horrid for weather and this one saw rain fall warnings in place--no snow at least this year!
tongue.png

Yes, that's a llama ear in the foreground...​

I expect no internet service...probably be spotty at best now with "summer" officially here for the back woods. Campers camp under our service provider's tower and that's it for the signal...hee hee...ensures we get lots of real time reality on the go, eh?

"L00Kit me on the quad...CLICK!"

No matter--use to it by now...I just get up at 2:30 a.m. and download any e-mails & then go back to bed.
wink.png

Rick found the porch furniture he wanted. So I did up my feed mixing chores I usually do on the weekends on Friday and went and sat outside with Pearl and Piper to wait for him to drive up so we could make the five hour round trip to get the furniture.

Sat there and watched more Stupids...even the swans were puzzled..."Why is there flashing lights and people pulled over on our quite back road?

From the conversations I got to overhear (like my quiet thanks), this one was driving without a license...local (or is that loco?) enough his other half walked down to drive the truck home. Really? A local should know by now, May long weekend--be legal or just stay home. Can only imagine the fine for no insurance...Rick says they run from two grand and up depending on how stunned you are...
gig.gif

When the sting was closer to us on the highway, we'd do up coffee and take it over for the Police, Conservation Officers and Peace Officers to enjoy. Love to see them make their presence known--no shenanigans even out in the Boonies!

So Rick showed up and off we went...even then the carnage was still ongoing.

I laugh because we had the check stop at home, another check stop on the way up...another on the way back, and still had the check stop going when we arrived back. That's a big show of force!
cool.png

So woke up Saturday and Rick got to putting the furniture together. We laughed on the way home..."some assembly required"...so I told Rick, hope you know how to weave in the "wicker style" because it'll be a big ol' block of plastic you gotta cut strips outta and weave together--weld up frames for! LOL

Storage Box for lawn chair cushions - also came in pieces for Rick to put together​

We bought this large storage box for the cushions for the lawn furniture we have had in the porch these past years...

When our butts were younger and cushy cushions were not so important, adored these lawn chairs in the Man Porch. Now that we are older, we can last on these lawn chairs just about as long as the weather outside holds, before the bugs get too bad or we just simply feel cold (no wood stove like in the Man Porch to take the chill off)...

Wood Stove in the Man Porch

So the green lawn chairs have migrated to outside by the pond/waterfall, in front of the garage. Great place for them and they will certainly get used.

Two of the old chairs with ottomans in front of fish pond and waterfall​

So Rick went about putting the porch furniture together...we had a BQ planned for Sunday to christen the new look of the Man Porch.

Fixins sure was happy...all her humans were at home and in the porch or the kitchen (meal preps) messing about!
big_smile.png

Fixins did a lot of inspecting and when not inspecting...

She was sleeping...​

Course anyone found sleeping on the job is open to bugging...intensive teasing too. I love to tease...bug bug--NO bugs but me!

This is one of those dollar store lacy table top "keep the bugs outta the food" covers...does she look impressed?
sad.png

Was overcast and it rained cats and dogs (but not this one sleeping...AGAIN!--I get tired just looking at her!) on Saturday...​

No worries, inside jobs were the major event, so we got lots done. I even found a break in the weather long enough to begin to junk out the small feed building which will be made into our Hatching House...busy busy. Love long weekends to get things done like dinner...

Saturday came to a close and the furniture was completed! Yah...Good job Rick...looks impressive!
celebrate.gif

Man Porch

He even installed the little waterfall!

Sunday...day of BQ to christen the furniture...

Appetizers - Caesar Salad with Shrimp and Veggies with Dip​

And there was food...and more food and food galores!

Potato Salad, Cottage Cheese, Beans, Veg and Dip, Macaroni Salad, Iced Tea and Peach Juice...

BQ roasted corn and Hotdogs and Smokies

Our boy even brought dessert...jello (nfi) and fruit, so I whipped up some sweetened cream and that finished off the meal--plum stuffed us all!

Wanna guess MY fav food...in the whole wide world...HOTDOGS or HAMBURGERS...yup...means me and the old man, me and my kid...my family is at home and lounging on the MAN porch. Nothing more beauty than that I say!

Was a great way to enjoy the long weekend...good company, nice surroundings and lotsa food...just what a long weekend should be about!

So today is plant day...porch plant day...so got Rick's two tomats we bought on Mother's Day weekend potted up.

Can easily cover these over with a few blankets if we get a heavy frost warning​

And the three Martha Washington geraniums for Rick's large coffee cup planters...a few geraniums of the regular kind.

So I have a question some of the gardener types might make suggestions on.

See the large planter (bottom center of the photo) that is empty. We can grow geraniums and tomatoes in the Man Porch...any frost warning days, I wrap the plants in old towels, sheets...but stays above freezing...we have like until now to about mid September for growing season in the porch. The planter is currently located under a sky light, so there is sunshine with a protected site.

What kind of tall, sorta showy plant should I look at getting for this planter? I mean when I lived on the WEsT Coast I would just plant something like Pampas grass or a Cana Lily (grown these pond side here but never had them flower...guess not the right conditions here for flowering I guess) in the big planter... We use to plant tomatoes in this planter and this year, I just used two matching terrra cotta plastic planters...matching because Rick bought two tomatoes instead of one.

Any ideas on fast growing but interesting plant for the planter? It can be an annual, but want it to be BIG eventually, even in our short growing season!

Might have to get another tomato plant I guess...
idunno.gif

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Canuck Bock OH, how I love bi colored sweet corn - even more than chocolate. Honestly, I once grew some in our garden - never got very big but, harvested 13 smallish ears. Ate every one of them - one after another. Also spent the rest of the day on the throne. But it was worth it. Best corn
I ever had.

My mom used to boil all the life out of the corn and then bury it under butter. I read up on it and learned you are supposed to have the water boiling. Run out, pick ears & shuck them. Throw corn in boiling water for a couple minutes and then eat. AW, food for the gods. it was so good and haven't used butter on corn since.

Back
Top Bottom